Your safety, and that of our staff, is our top priority, and we have implemented health and safety protocols set by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the University of Minnesota.

We need your cooperation to help keep our community safe, so wear your mask per University policy and the Governor of Minnesota's Executive Order, stay at least six feet away from others, and wash your hands frequently. Patrons will be asked to comply with guidance and direction provided by staff. Do not visit our buildings if you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19.

Until further notice, only current U of M students, faculty, and staff with a U Card may access our open spaces.

Open libraries

Our four largest libraries are open to current U of M students, faculty, and staff:

• Wilson Library (West Bank)
  • Walter Library (East Bank)
  • Health Science Library (East Bank)
  • and Magrath Library (St. Paul)

Libraries access by appointment only

• Elmer L. Andersen Library: UMN affiliates can contact the curator for the collection you are interested in from Andersen Library’s Archives and Special Collections.
  • The Borchert Map Library: email mapref@umn.edu to request an appointment
  • Wangensteen Historical Library. UMN affiliates can email wanghist@umn.edu to request an appointment
  • Andersen Horticulatural Library (off campus). Open to members of the public with a registered Arboretum visit time.

Closed libraries

• Architecture and Landscape Architecture (Rapson Hall)
  • Journalism Library (Murphy Hall)
  • Mathematics Library (Vincent Hall)
  • Music Library (Ferguson Hall)
  • Natural Resources Library (Hodson Hall)
  • Veterinary Medical Library

More about using our libraries

Frequently asked questions

What health and safety measures are in place?

Our spaces during the pandemic are very different. Learn more about health and safety in the Libraries during COVID-19.

What if I forget my mask?

We have disposable masks available at no cost.

I am off campus. How can I get materials? How do I return materials?

We resumed delivery of print books and journals to U of M faculty, students, and staff in summer 2020.  We can scan and digitally deliver print items, such as book chapters and journal articles, via email using Interlibrary Loan and Digital Delivery. You can have materials mailed to your home using “Get it.”

You can return materials in our open libraries or by mail. We continue to extend due dates and are not charging fines through Fall semester 2020.

How do I get a book or materials from a library that is closed?

Search for the item in Libraries search. Sign in and place a “get it” request and you can pick up items at one of our four open buildings — Wilson Library, Walter Library, Health Science Libraries, and Magrath Library — or have them delivered to your office, home, or residence hall.

Do the Libraries have my course materials and readings?

Check our list of textbooks, required readings, and other options for getting your course materials online. The Libraries are not currently offering print reserves.

Are computers and printing available?

Yes, we do have a small number of computers, printers, scanners, and photocopiers available at our four open buildings (Wilson Library, Walter Library, Health Science Library, and Magrath Library). You can also use wireless printing.

You need GopherGold on your U Card to pay for printing and photocopying. You can deposit money to your card online or in our buildings.

Please wipe down spaces/computers before and after each use with wipes/disinfectant provided.

Are the Wilson and Walter coffee shops open? 

No, the coffee shops in Walter Library and Wilson Library are closed. 

Can I bring my own food?

Food is not allowed in library buildings.

Are the 1:Button video recording studios open?

Yes, the 1:Button video recording studios are open by appointment for individual use. You can schedule an appointment online.

Can I reserve a study room?

Yes, you can reserve a study room for individual use and studying. 

Do I need to be physically distant while studying? Can I study with my friends?

All patrons and staff must practice physical distancing and stay a minimum of 6-feet apart.

Are the capacities and study spaces in the libraries lower?

Yes, per Minnesota Department of Health guidelines, the capacity of our spaces is limited to 25%. Please comply with the signage and capacity requirements posted in each space.

What resources are available for the general public?

Though the general public does not have access to our spaces, there are still many resources available. Explore our guide to free public resources for more options.

Is the Law Library open?

Visit the Law Library website for current information.