The Libraries has online services and support to assist you in preparing and delivering summer and fall course instruction.

Integrate library readings and content into Canvas

Use Libraries search and other library databases to search millions of items, including articles, online books or chapters, streaming video, and more. You can link directly to these materials in Canvas or other course sites. 

Our staff can put together your readings, digital reserves, library resources, and course materials on a “Library Course Page” included on all Canvas course sites. We can help you add materials and customize your page.

Course material request form

We can help you find and create new course materials

Our eLearning support services help you find quality, affordable course materials that fit your class. This includes existing library materials (or materials we can purchase) and openly licensed textbooks.

Interested in creating your own course content? Try our Pressbooks service.

Contact eLearning support services

We can purchase materials for your course or research

Do you need an e-book or e-resource for your teaching or research? We can purchase multi-user versions of e-books and e-resources that you and all students can use for free.

Suggest a purchase

Support students doing research

Use our library course and subject guides — which have recommended resources for classes and contact information for librarians.

Integrate library videos and tutorials into your assignments and Canvas. These tutorials can help students find, critically evaluate, and effectively use the sources for their course research.

Request help from a librarian

Research and learning consultations

Our librarians and curators are available for one-on-one research support.

Have questions about copyright and fair use? Refer to our up-to-date copyright guide or connect with our copyright services.

The Libraries also offer support on using and creating media for instructors and students.

Make a virtual appointment

Librarians can meet with your class

Our librarians and curators can meet with your students in class via Zoom, or record a custom video for asynchronous instruction. We help students create a plan for their course projects, find research materials, and evaluate information for relevance.

Request a library workshop for your class

Frequently asked questions

1. How do I access licensed resources discovered through Google Scholar?

University students, faculty, and staff can use the Libraries' FindIt to access full text for articles they find in Google Scholar. Set your Scholar Preferences. Click the Google Scholar menu in the upper left and select “Settings” (click the gear). Select "Library Links." Type "University of Minnesota" and search. Select "University of Minnesota - FindIt@U of M Twin Cities." Click "Save."

2. How do I access library research databases and journals from off-campus?

If you use links from our site, you will need to enter your U of M ID which will allow you access to licensed databases. You may save the Libraries' Proxy Bookmarklet to your browser and click on it to reload the page as a U of M affiliate.

3. What do I do if I want to use a chapter from a print book?

4. How do I request materials for instruction and research that are not currently available?

5. How do I connect to my liaison librarian?

You can contact subject liaison librarians directly via email. They are ready to help you by phone, email, Zoom, or Google Hangout.

6. How can I get assistance with copyright?

Copyright Librarian Nancy Sims has developed updated guidance for shifting your course from in-person to online. You can also contact copyinfo@umn.edu for further information or assistance.

University resources