Listed below are essential online library services and resources to help faculty and staff with alternative instruction and research during the campus closure.

(Updated March 17, 2020) — As updated on March 16, 2020 by President Joan Gabel, the University of Minnesota is moving to alternative instruction for all classes through the remainder of spring semester, in response to the challenges of COVID-19.

Course and research materials

Libraries search

Use Libraries search to find hundreds of millions of items, including:

• Books (electronic and print)
  • Articles
  • Music, videos, DVDs, and scores
  • Maps, archival, and digital collections
  • Government documents and research datasets
  • Journals, magazines, and newspapers (electronic and print)

Online course reserves

Digital reserves and course packs are embedded within Canvas course sites through the Library Course Page. Learn more about your options at online reserve information for faculty.

Looking for online textbooks for your courses? A number of textbook publishers are making their content freely available until the end of the spring semester. Please see this message from the U of M Bookstores or contact learnlib@umn.edu for more information.

Request it

Requests for physical materials (print books, DVDs, etc.) and scans from our print collection cannot be filled at this time.  Request electronically available items through Interlibrary Loan & Digital Delivery.  We will attempt to fill book requests with e-books. Interlibrary loan requests for physical materials and scans from our print collection will be put on hold.

Suggest a purchase

Do you need an e-book or e-resource for your teaching or research? Please let the Libraries know and we will investigate whether we can add this to our collections.

Library course guides

Use our library course and subject guides — which have recommended resources for a class, relevant online tutorials, and contact information for librarians. Request that a librarian work with you to customize content.

Copyright

Refer to our up-to-date copyright guide as you shift your course from in person to online.

Research and learning consultations

Make a virtual appointment with our librarians and curators for one-on-one research support.

Course instruction

Questions? Need help?

Quick help is available by email or 24/7 chat.

University resources

Frequently asked questions

(March 21, 2020) — Here are some answers to frequently asked questions, based on questions raised with library staff last week:

1. How do I access licensed resources discovered through Google Scholar?

University students, faculty, and staff can use the Libraries' FindIt to access full text for articles they find in Google Scholar. Set your Scholar Preferences. Click the Google Scholar menu in the upper left and select “Settings” (click the gear). Select "Library Links." Type "University of Minnesota" and search. Select "University of Minnesota - FindIt@U of M Twin Cities." Click "Save."

2. How do I access library research databases and journals from off-campus?

If you use links from our site, you will need to enter your U of M ID which will allow you access to licensed databases. You may save the Libraries' Proxy Bookmarklet to your browser and click on it to reload the page as a U of M affiliate.

3. What do I do if I want to use a chapter from a print book?

4. How do I request materials for instruction and research that are not currently available?

5. How do I connect to my liaison librarian?

You can contact subject liaison librarians directly via email. They are ready to help you by phone, email, Zoom, or Google Hangout.

6. How can I get assistance with copyright?

Copyright Librarian Nancy Sims has developed updated guidance for shifting your course from in-person to online. You can also contact copyinfo@umn.edu for further information or assistance.