Listed below are essential online library services and resources to help graduate students with alternative instruction, learning, and research during the campus closure.

As updated on March 16, 2020 by President Joan Gabel and in response to the challenges of COVID-19, all library buildings are closed indefinitely. This means:
  • All libraries are closed. There is no access to physical books or materials.
  • Do you have books checked out? You can keep your materials, even if they are overdue. We have extended due dates and we are not charging fines! This includes interlibrary loans.
  • We have turned off the monthly emails that list the items you have checked out, go to My Account for more information or Contact us if you have specific questions.

The Libraries website, staff, services, and resources are here to help you. As a graduate student, you may have many roles as a student, a researcher, and as an instructor. Here are some of our online services to help.

Libraries search

Use Libraries search to find hundreds of millions of items, including:

• books (electronic and print),
  • articles,
  • music, videos, DVDs, and scores,
  • maps, archival, and digital collections,
  • government documents and research datasets, and
  • journals, magazines, and newspapers (electronic and print).

Online course reserves

Digital reserves and course packs are embedded in Canvas course sites through the Library Course Page. Learn more about your options at online reserve information for instructors.

Request it

Request electronically available items through Interlibrary Loan & Digital Delivery. We will attempt to fill book requests with e-books.

Requests for physical materials (i.e. print books, DVDs, etc.), and scans from our print collection, will be put on hold.

Suggest a purchase

Do you need an e-book or e-resource for your teaching or research? Let the Libraries know and we will investigate if we can add it to our collections.

Library course guides

Use our library course and subject guides to get recommended resources for classes, relevant online tutorials, and contact information for librarians. Request a librarian to work with you to create or customize course guide content.

Course and research materials

We have millions of online articles, book chapters, ebooks and even streaming videos to support and supplement your course. You can link these directly in Canvas, or however you are sharing course materials. Use Libraries search to start, or ask for help finding course content.

Copyright help

Refer to our up-to-date copyright guide as you shift your course from in person to online.

Research and learning consultations

Make a virtual appointment with our librarians and curators for one-on-one research support.

For questions or help

Quick help is available by email, or 24/7 chat.

Frequently asked questions

I’m off campus and don’t have my textbook and/or course materials with me. What can I do?

Let your instructor know. They can work with us to get a solution for the entire class.

Also, check the Libraries website to see if we have it online already. If not, you can request a specific chapter or reading and we can work to get it.

You can also chat with a librarian 24/7 or email us for more specific options to support you based on your situation.

How do I access online articles when off campus?

You should be able to get to most articles directly from:

If you are having trouble getting to full text, send us an email and we can help.

Tip: If you use Google Scholar, be sure you connect to the full text of articles from U Libraries.

Can I chat with the Libraries?

Yes, you can get questions about research answered 24/7. Actual librarians are available to help you, day or night!

Can I make a virtual consultation?

• Yes, you can set up a consultation. Fill out the request form and we will work with you to set up a time to meet online.
  • Need help putting together your video? How do you facilitate a group video project over Zoom? How do you make a video with the technology that you have? Get feedback on your storyboard or learn how to edit video from a library media specialist! Appointments available by request.

I am teaching a course and moving online. Can the Libraries help?

Yes, the Libraries have online assistance and librarians available even while the campus buildings are closed.

University resources