As the crazy spring 2020 semester comes to a close, the University Libraries offer virtual study breaks and more!
Get out your markers, colors pencils or paints and take a break with these coloring sheets designed by students or these from our Wagensteen library with mythical beasts, historical creatures and underwater swimmers.
Try Effective U to help with:
Try the Pomodoro technique for effective studying workshop
Meet with fellow students in a Zoom and learn how to use the Pomodoro technique which is a brain-research based study strategy. Have an assignment ready to work on. The workshop will begin with a description of this technique and then you will try it! Use this focused time to get stuff done then take a group break and repeat. We will also share tips for planning for the end of this crazy semester. We will send a zoom link to students who are registered.
Virtual Study Breaks
- On Monday, May 4th we have some special study break activities that you can attend virtually! Activities will include a Pomodoro study hall, breakfast at Tiffany’s, and May the 4th be with you crafts! Register online and we will send links to the Zoom rooms.
- Use objects around your house to create and craft - Toilet paper roll wreath, DIY mini bunting, and make a geometric vase.
Virtual PAWS (Pet Away Worry and Stress)
Now you can interact with your favorite PAWS friends online using Zoom meetings. Just sign up!
- Sign up for virtual PAWS on Mondays, noon-1 p.m. (April 20, 27 and May 4)
- Sign up for virtual PAWS on Wednesdays, 3-4 p.m. (April 22, 29 and May 6)
More Tutoring Hours and Exam Jam
Explore Success.umn.edu to find the hours of peer tutors across campus ready to help you prepare for finals.
The U Libraries’ Peer Research Consultants (a.k.a. Library Research tutors) are here to help with any last minute virtual library or academic research questions. Need one more scholarly source to perfect that paper? Have questions on citing a source in APA or MLA? Need credible statistics? Worried you are citing fake news? Make a virtual appointment to help find the sources you need efficiently!
Working on a final research paper or video? Have questions?
- Make a virtual appointment with a Peer Research Consultant, (peer tutors for library and academic research). Consultations occur via Google Hangouts.
- Request a virtual meeting with a librarian for advanced research help for your capstone papers and projects.
- Making a final presentation or video? Learn how to edit a video, facilitate a group video project over Zoom, and more through an online media consultation.
Free Libraries Zoom backgrounds
Ready to take your zoom sessions and recordings to the next level? Need a “scholarly” background? We got you covered with your choice of libraries and historic images pulled from our Archives. Download the images you like then add to Zoom. Find out more about zoom from Teach, Meet and and Learn with Zoom from UMN OIT.
Student Mental Health site
The end of the semester can be stressful, campus has a bunch of support for you to try. Check out the Student Mental Health Website, you can access the U of M Textline 24/7 by texting “UMN” to 61222 or call 612-301-4673.