The University Libraries offer "distraction-free" studying for finals that includes extended hours in our buildings, as well as stress-reducing activities. Use our spaces, our computers, our coffee shops, Chat 24/7 with a librarian and take a break with our awesome activities. Try these coloring sheets designed by students.
Try Effective U to help with:
Take or leave some morale support in the form of positive post-its scattered around the campus libraries.
Walter Library (East Bank)
Extended Study Space:
24/7 access with U Card begins at 8:00 am on Friday, December 6 and ends at 6:00 pm on Thursday, December 19.
- On Tuesday, December 10 and Wednesday, Decmeber 11 we will be offering coffee, tea, snacks, and study break crafts in the Breakerspace.
- On Wednesday, December 12th we will host cookie decorating with YouMatter, on the 2nd floor.
- On Tuesday, December 10 and Wednesday, Decmeber 11 we will be offering coffee, tea, and snacks.
Wilson Library (West Bank)
- On Tuesday, December 10 and Wednesday, Decmeber 11 we will be offering coffee, snacks, coloring, puzzles, and button making between 11am and 4pm.
Magrath Library (St. Paul)
Extended Study Space:
Magrath’s extended study area will be open most days until 2am with U Card.
- From Wednesday, December 11 through Friday December 13, we will be offering coffee, tea, snacks, button making, puzzles, games, and more.
- Coloring and other activities throughout the library.
- Stress Reducktion: find a rubber duck, drop it off at the desk, and get a finals survival kit!
- Come study with Leonard the turtle!
- From Wednesday, December 11 through Friday December 13 we will be offering coffee, tea, and snacks.
Bio-Medical Library (in Diehl Hall on East Bank)
- On Tuesday, December 3rd and Wednesday, December 4 from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm we will offering stressbusters. Chair massages (12/3, 11am-1pm), PAWS (Pet Away Worry and Stress) (12/4, 11am-1pm), cookies, coffee, stress relieving toys, and button making, vinyl stickers and Virtual Reality study breaks in Makerspace.
Tutoring Hours and Exam Jam
Explore Success.umn.edu to find the hours of peer tutors across campus ready to help you prepare for finals.
The U Libraries’ Peer Research Consultants (a.k.a. Library Research tutors) are here to help with any last minute library or academic research questions. Need one more scholarly source to perfect that paper? Have questions on citing a source in APA or MLA? Need credible statistics? Worried you are citing fake news? Sit down or make an appointment to help find the sources you need efficiently!
Walk 24/7 and Gopher Chauffeur
An escort is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Please call 4-WALK (4-9255) if you would like an escort. The escort area covers all campuses and locations within a mile of campus.
The Gopher Chauffeur is a free transportation service that promotes safety in the campus community by providing University of Minnesota students with safe rides home. Get a ride, Sunday - Wednesday 8:30 pm to 12:30 am and Thursday - Saturday from 10:00 pm to 2:30 am. The service is open to all University of Minnesota-Twin Cities students. Gopher Chauffeur drivers, navigators, and dispatchers are hired by Boynton Health Service. All employees are University of Minnesota-Twin Cities students. Please call 612-388-6911 for a ride.
Student Mental Health site
Finals can be stressful, campus has a bunch of support for you to try. Check out the Student Mental Health Website, you can access the U of M Textline 24/7 by texting “UMN” to 61222 or call 612-301-4673.