Why use the Libraries?
It is good for you and your GPA! We studied it and found that students who used the U Libraries at least once in 2011-12 were twice as likely to return to the U for a second semester and had a higher average GPA than those who did not.
What does BuzzFeed have to say about using the Libraries?
- "Show the librarians some love! Don't wander around the library aimlessly. Ask the experts for help. Librarians are some of the most resourceful people you'll ever meet" from A Professor's Pointers for Success in College: 21 Easy-to-Follow Tips.
- "Take advantage of your college resources — from the library to the health clinic" from 21 Pieces Of Advice Every College Student Can Use from 21 Pieces Of Advice Every College Student Can Use.
- "Librarians are awesome" from 9 Reasons Why Librarians are Awesome.
Do the Libraries have textbooks or course readings?The short answer is maybe. Do a search on the Libraries homepage or read more about finding textbooks in the Libraries .
Academic Tools and Services
Get help when you need it.
- Ask Us (Online Resource)
Communicate insta-magically with a Libraries' staff member - in-person, chat 24/7, email, or phone!
- Peer Research Consultants
One-on-one research support with a fellow student, who knows their stuff.
- Intro to Library Research (Online Resource)
Take your research to the scholarly level - learn the basics of academic research.
- Subject Librarians
Research specialists for every department at the U.
- SMART Learning Commons
Peer tutoring and media services at Walter, Wilson, and Magrath Library.
- Library Homepage (Online Resource)
Search our collections through MNCAT Discovery or browse a subject specific database for articles and journals.
- Archives and Special Collections
Access to amazing primary sources including letters, manuscripts, and 4000 year-old Babylonian clay tablets.
- Citation Management Tools (Online Resource)
Cite your sources and create your bibliography quickly and easily.
- Assignment Calculator (Online Resource)
Easily map out the steps needed to complete a variety of assignments.
Find a Study Space
- New Student Map
- Library Study Spots and Spaces
Group and quiet study spaces, coffee shops, and more.
Avoid Plagiarism + Cite Sources
- Citation Guides (Online Resource)
Citation guides, managers, and generators - these tools can help you avoid plagiarism by citing sources properly.
Connect with the Libraries
Find us on Facebook
- U of MN Libraries
- Walter Library (East Bank)
- Magrath Library (St. Paul)
- Bio-Medical Library (East Bank)
- James Ford Bell Library (in Wilson Library, West Bank)
- Mathematics Library (East Bank)
- YMCA Archives on West Bank