Collection highlights and resources
The Library collection is a rich resource for everyone from the weekend gardener planning a perennial border to the professional horticulturist. Its vast collection of nearly 20,000 books and 300 subscriptions to magazines, newsletters, and scientific journals provides information and inspiration. Areas of specialization include horticulture, botany, landscape design, botanical illustration, garden crafts, cookbooks, and local natural history. Included is a children's collection of books for readers of all ages.
Search Andersen Horticultural Library's catalog
Search Libraries Catalog
Our special research collections include:
- One of North America's largest seed and nursery catalog collections with over 72,000 items dating from 1614 to the current year. More than 8,000 firms are represented.
- Rare books on horticulture, botany, garden design, botanical art and illustration, trees, birds, flowers, and other natural history subjects from the early 1500s to the present.
- Archives such as the Frances R. Williams Hosta Archives.
Our digital collections, easily accessible online, include:
- Three Minneapolis Seedswomen
- Minnesota Seed and Nursery Catalogs (1860s-1922)
- Botanical watercolors produced by Emma Roberts and Agnes Williams (1880s-early 1900s)
- Botanical Images from the Collections of the University Libraries
Online resources produced by Andersen Horticultural Library include:
Plant Information Online is an award-winning website of free searchable databases. Included are databases listing North American nurseries, plant and seed sources, and plant illustrations.
Published resources produced by Andersen Horticultural Library include:
- Andersen Horticultural Library's Source List of Plants and Seeds. 6th ed. (2004)
- Andersen Horticultural Library's Source List of Plants and Seeds. 5th ed. (2000, out-of-print)
- Trees and Shrubs for Northern Gardens by Dr. Leon C. Snyder (2000)
- FPI: Flowering Plant Index compiled by Richard T. Isaacson and Kathy Allen (1991-1996, out-of-print but incorporated in Plant Information Online)
- Andersen Horticultural Library: The First 25 Years by June M. Rogier and Richard Isaacson (1996)
- Andersen Horticultural Library's Source List of Plants and Seeds. 4th ed. (1996, out-of-print)
- Andersen Horticultural Library's Source List of Plants and Seeds. 3rd ed. (1993, out-of-print)
- A Space of One's Own by Marion Fry (1992, out-of-print)
- Native Plants for Northern Gardeners by Dr. Leon C. Snyder (1991, out-of-print)
- Andersen Horticultural Library's Source List of Plants and Seeds. 2nd ed. (1989, out-of-print)
- Through Minnesota's Seasons with Jim Gilbert by James R. Gilbert (1987, out-of-print)
- Andersen Horticultural Library's Source List of Plants and Seeds. 1st ed. (1987, out-of-print)
- Jim Gilbert's Nature Notebook by James R. Gilbert (1983, out-of-print)