When you come to the Bell:
- Bring a copy of your assignment
This will help us guide your research to find the most appropriate sources
- Bring a photo ID
You will be asked to register as a researcher
- Have a topic in mind – or at least a general idea. What interests you most?
Planning your research
Primary sources created before the 20th century offer special challenges.
- Sentence structure and vocabulary can be different and may seem exotic—almost like reading a foreign language.
- The fonts used in the past for printed material can be difficult to read.
- The material in books might be organized differently: no table of contents, no title page, publication date in Roman numerals –and—NO PAGE NUMBERS!
What to do?
- Allow additional time for research when using primary sources.
- Ask for help. We’re here for YOU.
- Check out the Using the Collection section of this Web site for more helpful information.