University Libraries

East Bank

Below are some of the interesting archival materials you can access through the Campus History Map...


1885


Photograph showing Old Main, the first building on campus. Old main was built in 1858 and was destroyed in a fire in 1904. Shevlin Hall is currently on the space formerly occupied by Old Main.





1925


Aerial view of the East Bank Campus.





1955


Aerial view of the East Bank Campus.





c. 1928


Photograph showing Northrop Memorial Auditorium under construction.





1890


Photograph of the Coliseum. The Coliseum was built in 1884 and was destroyed by a fire in 1894. The building was used as a military training facility for the University of Minnesota Cadet Corps. After it burned down, the University requested funding from the Legislature to build the Armory.





1906


Photograph of the Armory.





1920


Photograph of Burton Hall. Though it was built as the first library on campus, Burton Hall now houses classrooms as well as the College of Education & Human Development and the Department of Postsecondary Teaching & Learning.