In general, all research proposals for projects expected to generate significant digital data should include a detailed Data Management Plan (DMP). We suggest a general template that includes questions to address in your plan, however, funding agencies like the National Science Foundation have specific guidelines on what information to include in your DMP that should take precedence.
- Review your funding agency guidelines for data sharing.
- Get help writing your DMP:
- Implement your plan by using tools and resources found across campus.
Points to address in your DMP
- Types of data to be produced.
- Standards that would be applied for documentation and format, ie. metadata.
- Any protection or security measures taken to protect participant confidentiality or intellectual property.
- Access policies for sharing in data repositories and reuse.
- Provisions for archiving and preservation.