Before you begin your research, there are several considerations you need to make when planning how you will manage your data. The University Libraries provide self-guided and in-person educational and service support on
- funding agency requirements for data management and sharing
- writing and implementing data management plans
- IRB approval and data
- documenting and archiving your data
- understanding data copyright issues and university policies related to your data
Why is Data Management Important?
Data management throughout the data life-cycle will not only help save you time, but it will help you:
- increase the impact of your research with data citation.
- clearly document and provide evidence for your research in conjunction with published results.
- comply with sharing mandates and meet IRB and data security requirements (e.g., HIPAA).
- preserve data for long-term access and safeguard your investment from loss.
- describe and share data with others to further new discoveries and research.