Do you need to publish or provide public accesss to your data? First, consider the following questions: Is your data...

• ready for publication so that others may find, access, and cite?
  • funded by federal agencies that require data sharing?
  • in need of a long-term, secure archive solution?
  • complete and ready for distribution?

The Data Repository for the University of Minnesota (DRUM) may be the tool for you.

On this Page

What is DRUM? 
When should I archive my data in DRUM?
What are my options for sharing my data in DRUM?
Is there example language I can use to include the DRUM in my Data Management Plan?
How do I deposit data in DRUM?

What is DRUM?

DRUM is a repository for digital research data generated by U of M researchers, students, and staff. As part of the University Digital Conservancy (UDC), DRUM provides long-term digital preservation and open access to data. All data in the collection are curated to increase potential for access and are assigned a digital object identifier (DOI). Learn how to prepare your data for deposit using our DRUM Submission Checklist (pdf).

When should I archive my data in DRUM?

DRUM is intended for the deposit of U of M created digital research data that is in a finished, distributable state. Data specialists in the Libraries will collaborate with depositors to ensure that data is discoverable in a way that maximizes its potential for re-use. DRUM accepts a wide variety of of research data and file formats; however, some types of data, such as protected health information and personally identifiable human subjects data, are not appropriate for deposit at this time.

Data deposited in DRUM will be immediately accessible, and depositors will have the option of controlling access to their data for up to 2 years. Additionally, DRUM allows you to release your data and materials under a Creative Commons license (controlling who can use or modify your data), in the Public Domain (most open option), or without any license.

Is there example language I can use to include DRUM in my Data Management Plan?

Yes! And we recommend that you contact us for a consultation on your DMP before submitting the proposal.

A long-term data sharing and preservation plan will be used to store and make publicly accessible the data beyond the life of the project. The data will be deposited into the Data Repository for the University of Minnesota (DRUM), http://hdl.handle.net/11299/166578. This University Libraries’ hosted institutional data repository is an open access platform for dissemination and archiving of university research data. Date files in DRUM are written to an Isilon storage system with two copies, one local to ​each of the two geographically separated University of Minnesota Data Centers​. The local Isilon cluster stores the data in such a way that the data can survive the loss of any two disks or any one node of the cluster. Within two hours of the initial write, data replication to the 2nd Isilon cluster commences. The 2nd cluster employs the same protections as the local cluster, and both verify with a checksum procedure that data has not altered on write. In addition, DRUM provides long-term preservation of digital data files for at least 10 years using services such as migration (limited format types), secure backup, bit-level checksums, and maintains a persistent DOIs for data sets, facilitating data citations. In accordance to DRUM policies, the (deidentified, if applicable) data will be accompanied by the appropriate documentation, metadata, and code to facilitate reuse and provide the potential for interoperability with similar data sets.

How do I deposit data in DRUM?

Step 1: You should review the criteria for depositing to DRUM. Data must be:

• authored by at least one University of Minnesota affiliated researcher with an active x500.
  • non-restricted and NOT contain any private, confidential, or other legally protected information. (Learn how to manage and deidentify sensitive data.)
  • contained in files EACH not exceeding 2GB per file and include adequate documentation.
  • see all DRUM policies.

Step 2: Then prepare your data files, gather appropriate documentation files, funder information, and have metadata ready (title, authors, abstract). You can also review best practices in preparation for archiving data files or use our readme.txt file template. 

Step 3: Submit your data with DRUM’s online deposit form.

Need help?

Contact Us with your questions and we will consult with you or point you to the right person, resource, or service on campus.

Brochure of our Services (pdf)

Preparing Data for DRUM (pdf)

Readme File Template (txt)