University Libraries Data Services
As information specialists, the libraries have been dealing with issues of digital curation, including preservation and perpetual access, for many decades. Our services focus on the sharing and reuse of research data.
- Consultation services and tools for writing a data management plan (DMP).
- Training in Data Management and sharing the best practices that the library and information professionals use to digitally archive information.
- Finding Data: Libraries purchase data sets such as GIS and social science data (ICPSR member).
- Documentation tools such as a general metadata schema. Librarians and metadata specialists have produced a number of useful schema to describe research data and scholarship.
- Consultations on depositing data in an appropriate data archives and repositories.
- Data archiving and preservation services including depositing data in the University's Digital Conservancy.
- Citation tools to ensure appropriate attribution of your data.
See also the Libraries Research Support Services includes: grant discovery tools, 24-7 reference chat, digitization services, and preservation techniques.
Additional Services on Campus
- Computing and network services include: storage, backup, server support, database administration.
- Tutorials on Netfiles (campus server space for each UMN member) and Google Apps Collaboration Tools.
- Workshops available throughout the semester on Excel, Access, GIS mapping, and more.
Office of the Vice President of Research (funding information, forms and grant support.
Academic Health Center (secure, on-site data storage, anonymization techniques)
College of Liberal Arts OIT (research support for digital arts and humanities)
Clinical and Interdisciplinary Informatics (consultation, data analysis)
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (high-performance computing resources, tutorials)
Office of Technology Commercialization (patentable research discoveries)
Do you have a service available to researchers on campus? Interested in networking with other service providers? Join the UMN's informal Community of Practice (CoP) on Research Data Management.