The library offers free drop-in workshops on data management best practices periodically throughout the year. More information about these workshops is given below. See the list of workshops to register for the next available session(s) or view recorded sessions below.
The Libraries are offering a free week-long Data Management Short Course this summer held August 17-21, 2015. It is a hands-on, intensive training for grad students who want to integrate data management best practices into their current or future research.
Online Data Management CourseOnline Version Freely Available
This course combines online video lessons and hands-on workshops throughout the semester. The Data Management Course was part of an IMLS grant-funded project and designed for graduate students currently enrolled at the UMN. The training modules are freely available for anyone to view and download. Modules include:
- Introduction to Data Management (5 min)
- How to Inventory, Store, and Backup Your Data (4 min)
- How to Create Data that You (and Others) can Understand (5 min 30 sec)
- How to Navigate Rights and Ownership of your Research Data (9 min)
- How to Share Your Data and Ethically Reuse Data Created by Others (4 min 30 sec)
- How to Digitally Preserve Your Data for the Future (5 min 30 sec)
- Complete Your DMP (5 min)
Creating a Data Management Plan
This workshop, geared toward faculty and researchers, will provide an overview of the questions to consider when creating a data management plan with a focus on data preservation issues and tools for sharing your data. This workshop is discussion-based and works through each of the data management topics via group and paired activities.
Request a Session
This library workshop is offered periodically throughout the year as a 1.5 hour session. If you are interested in scheduling a session for your department or research group, please contact instructor Lisa Johnston.
Watch a recording of this session from January 8, 2014 at the UMN Office of Nursing Scholarship meeting.
Data Management for Graduate Students
Establishing a foundation of good data management practices early in a researcher’s career is critical to shaping long-term habits. This workshop focuses on graduate students and discusses best practices through relevant disciplinary examples.
Watch a recording of this session from our August 22, 2012 session.
Additional Training Opportunities on Campus
There are numerous additional opportunities around campus that provide training related to data management. The following links provide more information, where interested:
- The Office of Information Technology (OIT) hosts several technology training workshops
- The Office of the Vice President for REsearch (OVPR) hosts several online tutorials covering a variety of topics, including:
- Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (MSI) hosts ongoing recorded workshops and training