How do I add library resources to Canvas?
The University Libraries provides integrations of library content and services into Moodle through the automatic inclusion of a library block in all Moodle course pages, as well as Course Reserves integration. We are currently working with OIT to include many of the same integrations within Canvas, plus hopefully some improvements.
Until our integrations are ready, you can easily include Course Reserves or Library Course Pages in your Canvas course page by following the instructions for adding a link to the Canvas course navigation menu, or just include links within Canvas pages or modules.
Plesae see the Canvas Transition Information site for more general information about the move to Canvas.
What are some library resources and services that I can integrate into Canvas?
Course Readings: Articles, e-books, etc.
Why use links through the Libraries in your courses?
- Make use of the large, high-quality collections of the University Libraries
- Don’t make your students pay for the same article/source twice by requiring course packets
- Ensures all students (both on-campus and off-campus) have access to the desired source
- Conforms to the University licensing agreement for use of database subscriptions
- No need to worry about potential copyright issues
Note: Just grabbing the URL in your browser bar won’t work (or it will only work for a short time or not for off-campus access) due to the complex way the links are generated.
Learn how to get to the “persistent” link to add to your course page:
- Step-by-step guide on creating persistent, direct links to database articles to use in Moodle and other course sites (Interactive Tutorial)
- Step-by-step guide on creating persistent links to library E-books (Interactive Tutorial)
- How to create links to article records in MNCAT Discovery for Moodle or other course sites (video: 3 min)
Or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help!
Library Course Page
We bring together all of a course related library resources on one page called a Library Course Page including basic subject resources, course reserves (if using), subject librarian, course-specific tab (if using), and “Ask a Librarian 24/7” widget.
Do you need help including a Library Course Page into your Canvas course page? Let us know at email@example.com!
Images, Media, and Music
The University Libraries provide access to a variety of sources and offer suggestions on free sources to find more images.
The Libraries also offer access to streaming educational videos and music, which can be embedded directly into your course page. Because a library subscription is required for these resources, users will need to authenticate before they will appear.
Please let us know if you have any questions or if you need any help with any of these resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
And More! ...
We can help you create and integrate a Digital Course Pack, or publish and use Open Educational Resources and Open Textbooks. We can also help you find high quality, affordable course content in a variety of formats and content types that will help you save time and save students money. Contact us at email@example.com for more information and assistance!