Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find salary data for University employees past and present?
Current Salary Data
University faculty and staff can access salary data from the previous two fiscal years and the current fiscal year through UM Reports.
- Go to UMN Reports
- Log in
- Read and agree to the University's privacy policies.
- Click on the Search Reports tab.
- Set the Filter By Category box to HR & Payroll and the SubCategory to HR Reports.
- Find Personnel Basic Information in the alphabetical results list, and click on it.
- Click on Select an Area.
- Select the department or area in which you are interested, and follow the prompts.
- To find average salaries for a job classification, search UM Reports for "Job Code Average Salary."
Non-University researchers can access salary data by contacting the University Libraries' reference service for requests of three or less.
For summary or trend data, contact Payroll Services, U of Minnesota Office of Human Resources, at 612-624-4585.
Additionally, the St. Paul Pioneer Press has compiled a database of "Minnesota Public Employee Salaries" at
Historical Budget Information
University Archives holds University budgets in print form from 1911 to 2009. Information in the budgets can be accessed by employee name and by department, school, or college. Contact our office if you have questions or would like to schedule a visit to use the budgets.
University budgets from 1911-1960 are available in the University Budgets collection in the University Digital Conservancy. These budgets provide detail at the department level for salaries of faculty and staff and may include other departmental expenses such as supplies, equipment, facilities, etc. A volume for an individual fiscal year also may include a staff index, department index, fund index, budget code list, budget summary statement, or income summary.