Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find past issues of the Minnesota Daily? How can I search for a story in the Daily?

Answer:

Do you know the date you are looking for?

Minnesota Daily from 1900
PDF Archives from 1900-present

Paper or microfilm copies

• Paper copies of the Minnesota Daily from 1900-present are available in the University Archives.
  • Microfilm copies of the Minnesota Daily from 1900-2009 are available in Newspaper Room, Basement, Wilson Library.
  • Bound copies of the Ariel (predecessor to the Daily) from 1880-1900 are also available in University Archives. The Ariel has been indexed.

How can I search for an story? What online indexes exist for the Minnesota Daily?

Material from the Minnesota Daily from September 22, 1997 to present, can be searched using "University Wire" section of Lexis Nexis Academic. Search by keyword, author, etc. When you get to LexisNexis, click on Sources (top menu bar), and enter "Minnesota Daily".

Indexes only:
1900-1922
1963-1977: Minnesota Daily Card Index--Wilson Reference Room.
1900-Present: Minnesota Daily News Office. Phone: (612) 627-4080
Dates vary: Clipping files, University Archives, Andersen Library. Phone: (612) 624-0562.

NOTE: If you are not student, staff or faculty of the University of Minnesota, you will not be able to access this database from off-campus; you can, however, come into any university library facility to access them.

Return to the FAQ Home Page