How do I find biographical information about a person?
For well-known/famous people:
- Search MNCAT for books about the person.
- Type the person's name in the search box -- type the last name (surname) first, followed by the person's given name (i.e., Lincoln, Abraham).
- Change the "That Contain My Query Words" drop down menu (under the search box) to "With My Exact Phrase."
- Change the "Anywhere In The Record" drop down menu (under the search box) to "In Subject."
- Click Search.
For people less well-known:
- Search the Biography and Genealogy Master Index.
For former students and employees of the University of Minnesota:
The University of Minnesota Archives has a wide variety of materials on students, staff and faculty of the UMN. Many items useful to biographical research are available digitally, most print materials are available to be viewed on-site by appointment. For more information on conducting biographical research through the University of Minnesota Archives please see: How can I find out more about someone who used to attend or work at the University of Minnesota?