Frequently Asked Questions
How can I find and use microfiche, microfilm, and microcards?
These micro-formats can be found in collections throughout many of the University Libraries.
Materials in these formats can be found by searching MNCat. Some major collections include:
- In Wilson Library: microfilm and microfiche are shelved by number in the Periodical Room in the basement unless another location (e.g., Wilson Reference or Government Publications) is given.
- In Walter Library, we have 18 cabinets of microfiche and microfilm, located in the SE corner of room 206 Walter Library
Viewing, Copying and Printing Microfiche, Microfilm and Microcards
Microfiche and Microfilm:
- Self-Service Micrographic Viewer/Scanners
- Biomedical Library: Study Room 207 located on the stacks side of the second floor. For additional information, ask in person at Circulation, call 612-626-2969, or email email@example.com.
- Magrath Library: Near Reference/Circulation (Ground Floor)
- Walter Library: Walter Library 206 (Second Floor)
- Wilson Library: Periodical Room (Basement Level); Details are available at http://wilson.lib.umn.edu/microscan.pdf
Wilson and Bio-Medical Library machines view and scan both microfilm and microfiche. Users can then do the following with scanned images:
- Download to USB flash memory drive or "jump" drive
- Burn to CD or DVD-ROM
- Print ($0.12 per page)
- A microcard viewer is available in Wilson Library in the Periodical Room (Basement Level).
To print a microcard, take it to the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) office on the basement level of Wilson Library.