How do I request an item not owned by the University of Minnesota Libraries?


Items not owned by the University of Minnesota Libraries can be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Interlibrary Loan offers free access to books and journal articles not currently available within the University of Minnesota Twin Cities' collections to promote coursework and scholarly research to Twin Cities campus faculty, staff, and students, excluding Law. Law school students, faculty, and staff should use the Law Library's Interlibrary Loan services.

  1. Go to the Libraries’ homepage:
  2. Under the Services menu choose "Interlibrary Loan (ILL)"
  3. Log in with your University of Minnesota internet ID and password
  4. If you have never had an interlibrary loan account you will be prompted to fill out a registration form.

Now that you have an account, you can submit a new request manually, through an online database or WorldCat. Requesting through a database or WorldCat will automatically push the bibliographic information to a new request form.
When you search WorldCat and click on a record for full details, you'll see an "Interlibrary Loan/ILLiad " link below the section with the book cover, title, and author information.


Return to the FAQ Home Page