Where can I return my library materials?
The University of Minnesota Libraries is now accepting returns of your checked out materials.
Patrons with items checked out from the University of Minnesota Libraries can return items, including Interlibrary Loan (ILL) items, to exterior book returns at
- Wilson Library, book return is to the left of the front entrance,
- Walter Library, book return faces Pleasant Street, in the loading dock
- Magrath Library, book return faces Buford Ave, or
- Natural Resources Library, book return faces Upper Buford Circle.
Faculty & staff can also return items through Campus Mail, if their department is being served by Campus Mail.
UMN System (Crookston, Duluth, Morris) campuses are also able to take UMN Libraries books at this time if you are near one of those locations.
Patrons with SMART media equipment or CFANS/CBS laptops checked out from Magrath Library should schedule a drop off to ensure the security and safety of the items. Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before returning library items, please observe the following safe-handling practices:
- Do not clean or disinfect library materials before returning them. For example, do not use water, Lysol, or any other cleaner on materials.
- If you or your family members are sick or have been sick, seal materials in a zip-lock style bag if possible before returning.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before handling library materials for return and again after you have completed the return.
Items will be removed from your account after they have been quarantined for three days. If you have already returned books, thank you! We are working on removing these items from library accounts, but this process may take a little time before all backlogged items are cleared.
Email us with any questions, or if you live outside of the seven-county metro area and can only return library materials by mail.