Frequently Asked Questions
What are the borrowing policies related to audio and video materials in the Walter SMART Learning Commons?
University of Minnesota faculty, staff, and students may use any of the library media services and facilities in the Walter SMART Commons.
The following types of materials are restricted to in-building use only:
1. Course Reserve items (found at the basement circulation desk)
2. Test prep materials
Users must have a current U Card. A current U Card or Special Privileges Borrowing Card (Proxy card) is required for any out-of-building borrowing.
1. General loan period for DVDs and VHS tapes is three days.
2. Loan periods for reserved items are set by the instructor.
3. Classroom presentation loans are made routinely for two to five days. All items are due no more than three calendar days after date of check-out (without arrangements from the media supervisor). Confirm due date when requesting classroom use reservations or at time of check out.
4. All unrestricted non-reserve materials are due three calendar days after date of check-out.