Can I annotate PDFs?
Currently, it is not possible to electronically "write" on documents in PDF without the additional software. A number of inexpensive software solutions are available, with features varying from the ability to simply add handwritten or typed text to more complex tasks such as changing the text in the document, adding comments in new text boxes, or inserting common shapes or symbols.
Commonly used programs and related support
- Acrobat Pro (cross platform) from Adobe
- Tutorials and online documents at the Adobe Learning Center
- iAnnotate (cross platform): Forums, online documents, and e-mail support
- PDFpen (for the Mac) from Smile Software: Video tutorial, FAQ, help files, screen shots of basic tasks
- PDF Annotator (for Windows) from Grahl Software Design: FAQ, screenshots, online manual
- Skim (for the Mac): Manual, wiki, and screen shots are available at the main website
Citation management programs that include a PDF annotation feature