Using the U.S. Census Bureau's EXTRACT Software
Many Census Bureau CD-ROMS use a Census Bureau developed piece of software called EXTRACT. While more and more datasets are found on the Census Bureau website, many of them, especially the ones released on CD-ROM are not. Sometimes you can work directly with the files without installing anything, but often you need EXTRACT in order to get a smaller subset of the data. This guide will show you how to install and use EXTRACT.
EXTRACT is a Windows program. Mac users can run it, but they'll need a Windows emulator first. Once you have Windows running, you're ready to install. EXTRACT will work with Windows 7.
- Go to the EXTRACT page to download the software
- Go to the C:\ drive and create a folder called "EXTRACT"
- Move the downloaded file into C:\EXTRACT
- While you're there, make two folders: C:\EXTRACT\WORK and C:\EXTRACT\AUXIL
- Double-click on the downloaded file
- For some Census Bureau CD-ROMS that use EXTRACT, you'll need additional and/or corrected auxillary files which you can dowloand from the EXTRACT page.
- Start the Program
- Specify Drives
- Restricting Your Search to Particular State, Catalog and File
- Options Menu
- Limiting Columns
- Limiting Records
- Choosing/Altering Labels