Proquest Dissertations & Theses (formerly known as Digital Dissertations) allows users to search for dissertations and theses from over 1,000 North American and European universities.
Titles from these CIC institutions published since 1997 are available without charge to current U of M students, staff, and faculty:
- University of Minnesota
- Indiana University
- Michigan State University
- Northwestern University
- Ohio State University
- Pennsylvania State University
- Purdue University
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- University of Illinois, Chicago
- University of Iowa
- University of Michigan
- University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
To identify full text works, you can check the "Limit results to: Full text documents only" box inside Proquest Dissertations & Theses, and look for the FREE DOWNLOAD button. Alternatively, you can choose to search a subset of the PDT database called Dissertations & Theses @ CIC Institutions (via the "Databases selected" menu).
Please note that very recent U of M dissertations may not appear in ProQuest until several weeks after the MNCAT record for the thesis appears. For dissertations from other institutions, the first twenty-four pages can be displayed free of charge.
To borrow a dissertation through Interlibrary Loan:
Using Proquest Digital Dissertations
- Find the citation in Proquest Digital Dissertations
- From the Interlibrary Loan page, login to your ILLiad account. New users can complete a one-time registration to set up an account.
- Click on Request a Thesis
- Fill out the form. Include the Digital Dissertations publication number (AAT...)
- Click Submit Request. A confirmation message will appear. Note: In most cases, only the granting institution holds a copy of the dissertation. If the item is on the shelf, print dissertations held at a Big Ten Library will arrive within about a week. If the item is held elsewhere, it may take two weeks. You will be notified if the material does not circulate or if it is already checked out. ILL cannot recall dissertations.
- From University Libraries web site select Catalogs
- Search by author, title, or keyword; select record
- Click on Interlibrary Loan/ILLiad (found below Get This Item)
- Log in to your ILLiad account
- Click Submit Request. A confirmation message will appear