Notice: The University of Minnesota's subscription to RefWorks will end in July 2017 and users will no longer be able to access their accounts. For more information and instructions on migrating your account to a different citation manager, visit our RefWorks Transition page.
U of M Group Code - if needed
RefWorks is a web-based citation manager provided by the University Libraries for all UMN-Twin Cities' faculty, students, and staff that allows you to:
- create your own sharable databases of citations by importing references from library search engines or entering them using a template;
- attach files to references as long as each file is 5MB or less; and
- automatically generate bibliographies in all major styles (MLA, APA, Turabian, Chicago, etc.) and export them as several document types (Word, RTF, HTML, etc.).
Want to know how RefWorks compares to other citation managers?
See the citation manager chart.
How to Use RefWorks
RefWorks provides excellent tutorials on how to use their product on the ProQuest Refworks YouTube channel. The videos are short and cover all the types of activities you are likely to do: creating an account, adding and organizing references, creating bibliographies, using Write-N-Cite with MS Word and sharing or exporting your references. A UMN workshop recording is also available (Apple Device version).
About UMN Access to RefWorks
Like any other service we subscribe to, there's a right way to get into RefWorks. The links you need, including the group code you may sometimes need for off-campus access are
- Create a RefWorks Account
- Do not use your UMN username or password!
- Login to RefWorks
- U of M Group Code
When you leave the University, you don't have to leave your citation database behind. Former students--either alumni or those who've transferred elsewhere--and retired faculty have access to their RefWorks accounts as long as the University of Minnesota subscribes to RefWorks. You do need to update your profile:
- Login to RefWorks and the U of M Group Code if necessary.
- Click "Update Profile" at the very top of the page
- In the Type of User drop-down list, select "Alumni".
- Click Save Profile
The Fine Print
Due to licensing agreements with our resource providers, once you've left the UMN the citations in your RefWorks account will still be correct, but the links to the items cited may no longer work. Contact your local library for help getting links to cited items.