Note: If you are off-campus when attempting to use either of the above logins, you may first be prompted to authenticate using your U of M Internet ID and password, then to log into your personal RefWorks account. If you're using Write-N-Cite from an off-campus location, you may need the U of M Group Code to log into your RefWorks account.
RefWorks is a web-based citation manager provided by the Libraries for all U of M- Twin Cities' faculty, students, and staff that allows you to:
- Create your own databases of citations by importing references from MNCAT and other databases or entering them using a template. Databases can be for you alone or a group;
- Upload and attach one or more files (PDF, image, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) to individual records in your account. There is a 5MB limit per attachment;
- Automatically generate bibliographies in all major styles (MLA, APA, Turabian, Chicago, etc.) in seconds, and then exporting them as several document types (Word, RTF, HTML, etc.); and
- Continue your access to RefWorks after you graduate through the RefWorks Alumni Program, free to U of M alumni and retired faculty.
Getting Started & Building Your Skills
- Register for a RefWorks Workshop
- RefWorks Basics -- This 60-minute session covers the fundamentals of using RefWorks, including adding references to your personal RefWorks account, as well as exporting them to Word, and selecting styles (e.g., MLA, APA, etc.) to generate customized bibliographies.
- RefWorks 2.0 Tutorial (presented as Flash movies or pdf files)
- Linking to Documents Stored in NetFiles (pdf) )
- Creative Uses of RefWorks (in Word) (pdf version)
RefWorks for Alumni
If you are no longer affiliated with the University of Minnesota but had an account while you were a student or faculty member, you can continue using RefWorks through the RefWorks Alumni Program.