Interlibrary loan offers free access to materials needed for course work and scholarly research that are not currently available within the University of Minnesota Libraries. We make our best effort to obtain requested materials but cannot guarantee that we can get all requests.
Who May Use Interlibrary Loan
Available to students, staff, and faculty of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus, as well as Extension, Research and Outreach Centers, and Itasca or Hormel Institutes with active borrowing privileges.
Friends of the Library and Special Privilege Card holders are not eligible for the university’s interlibrary loan services but may request materials through their local public library.
Most materials are available with no charge. If a fee is required, you will be contacted for approval before the material is ordered.
Overdue materials (the due date is indicated on the book strip attached to the front of the material) will block your ability to submit new requests and a fine will be assessed per the following rates:
- Interlibrary loan overdue fine: $1 per item per day
Primarily books, dissertations, government publications, and photocopies of articles. Current periodicals or newspapers, rare books, new books, videos, and recordings may be unavailable.
Interlibrary Loan will attempt to borrow textbooks. If a textbook arrives from a Big Ten Library, it may be borrowed for 13 weeks with at least a 4-week renewal. Other libraries may only lend for 4-6 weeks.
If a title is renewable, a “Request Renewal” button is listed next to the item in your ILLiad account (after submitting the request, check the new due date). If the renew request is denied, we will contact you with the new due date assigned by the lending library.
Time Until Requests Arrive
- Books: average 3-10 days
- Articles: average 1-5 days
Length of time varies depending on availability, shipping, and other factors. Please request materials with ample time before your deadline.
Sign into your ILLiad account or contact the Interlibrary Loan office. Statuses include:
- Awaiting Customer Contact
- The requested material has arrived and is ready for pickup. The patron will be notified soon.
- Awaiting Conditional Processing
- A potential lender has replied to your request, seeking more information. ILL is responding.
- Awaiting Post Receipt Processing
- The requested material has arrived, but not yet ready for pickup.
- Awaiting Return Label Processing
- The item has been returned to ILL and is waiting for return processing by ILL staff.
- Awaiting Unfilled Processing
- Your request has not been filled by potential lenders. ILL is trying other sources.
- Cancelled by Customer
- The request has been cancelled by the customer.
- Cancelled by ILL Staff
- The request was cancelled by ILL staff and an email of this cancellation has been sent. The reason for cancellation is noted in the email and within the customer's ILLiad account.
- Checked out by Customer
- The item has arrived, been processed by ILL staff and has been checked out to the customer.
- Delivered to Web
- The received item has been processed and is available through the customer's ILLiad web page for viewing or downloading.
- In Electronic Delivery Processing
- The article has arrived and is being processed for delivery to the web. The customer will be notified shortly.
- In Process
- ILL has received your request and is locating potential lenders.
- In Transit from Customer
- The request has been returned to a circulation point and is in transit to Wilson Library for return processing.
- In Transit to Pickup Location
- The item has been processed by ILL Staff and is being sent to the customer's specified campus library for pickup.
- Ready For Pickup
- The item has arrived, been processed by ILL staff and the customer has been notified by e-mail.
- Request Finished
- The request has been successfully processed and completed.
- Request Sent
- ILL staff has forwarded your request to potential lenders and is waiting for them to ship the item.
All notices and messages are sent via email. You will be notified via email when articles are available for download within your ILL account.
On Campus Pick Up Locations
- Wilson Library
- Walter Science & Engineering Library
- Bio-Medical Library
- Magrath Library
- Mathematics Library
- Veterinary Medical Library
- Architecture Library
- Natural Resources Library
- University of Minnesota Duluth Library
- University of Minnesota Rochester Library
Campus Office Delivery
Campus office delivery is available for faculty and staff only.
For Extension, Research and Outreach Centers, Itasca*, and Hormel Institute:
- Items will be sent with pre-paid UPS return label and shipped at no charge.
- We will contact patrons to confirm the shipping address for any off-TC campus addresses.
Off Campus Delivery
Off campus delivery (outside of the metro area) is available upon request for additional fees (no additional fees if registered with Disability Services):
- UPS Ground delivery $5 plus $1 per additional item in package
- return shipping charges
Extension, Research and Outreach Centers, Itasca*, and Hormel Institute do not have delivery fees. Items will be sent with pre-paid UPS return label.
*Itasca Biological Station and Laboratories researches please enter a note for each request indicating that they are currently located at the Itasca Biological Station.
Damaged or Lost Materials
Cost to replace vary. To avoid overdue fines, please notify the Interlibrary Loan office immediately. Costs may include:
- Replacement cost: determined by the lending library
- Processing fee: $15
- Overdue fine: determined based on when the Interlibrary Loan office was contacted
For damaged materials contact the Interlibrary Loan office to determine costs.
UBorrow searches 15+ major research libraries (Big Ten Academic Alliance institutions). UBorrow is a great way to search for books and media (CDs, DVDs and even LPs!).
Requested materials usually arrive within 1 week and can be borrowed for 12 weeks with one 4-week renewal (they are not recalled except under unusual circumstances). Media items may have a shorter loan period.
The service is offered by the member institutions of the BTAA, which is comprised of the universities of the Big Ten Conference as well as the University of Chicago. Materials from the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) may also be requested.
Materials not available through UBorrow may be requested via regular interlibrary loan. Just follow the blue "Request" link. If your search did not produce results and there is no "Request" link, that doesn't mean it's not available, sign in to ILLiad and submit a book request. These items will carry the loan period granted by the lending library, not the more generous UBorrow loan period and may take longer to arrive.
Important Copyright Information
WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.