On This Page
Late night and weekend access (Mon. - Thurs. 9 pm-10 pm, Sat. 4 pm-6 pm, and Sun. Noon-10 pm) to Magrath Library, is via the south Gortner Ave. Ramp entrance, and via the north Buford Ave entrance located next to the Learning and Environmental Sciences or the west Magrath plaza entrance. Magrath is not accessible via the Ruttan Hall external doors during these hours. To learn about access to University buildings visit University of Minnesota Building Access Program.
During open library service hours, please call 612-624-2233 for assistance, if these entrances are locked.
Magrath Library is located on the St Paul Campus of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. Our address is:
St Paul, MN 55108
Getting to the LibraryFrom I-35W (both directions):
- Take Interstate 35W to the Cleveland Avenue exit. Continue south on Cleveland Avenue for a mile and a half. Turn left onto Buford Avenue and proceed 2 blocks. Magrath Library will be on the right near the intersection of Buford Ave and Lower Buford Circle.
From I-94 (both directions):
- Take I-94 to the Highway 280 exit. Proceed northbound on Highway 280 for 1 mile to the Kasota Ave/ Energy Park Drive exit. Turn right onto Energy Park Drive and proceed 1/2 mile to Raymond Ave. Turn left onto Raymond Ave and continue for 1 mile (the road will become Cleveland Ave) to Buford Ave. Turn right onto Buford Ave and proceed for 2 blocks. Magrath Library will be on the right near the intersection of Buford Ave and Lower Buford Circle.
Parking Near Magrath Library
Magrath Library is located adjacent to the Gortner Avenue Ramp. For more information on parking on campus, please visit the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Parking and Transportation Services parking information page.
- Basement: Map | Group Study Room (Room B55) | OIT Computer Lab (Room 50)
- Ground Floor: Map | Contains Circulation and Reference Services, Computers and Printing, Reference Collection, Current Periodicals, Cookbook Collection, Government Documents, SMART Learning Commons
- First Floor: Map | Contains Periodicals (A-Z), U.S. Documents, Microfilm
- Second Floor: Map | Contains LC Folio, Octavo, Quarto Books, Thesis, Konopka Collection, State Documents
The library building was originally built in 1953 and the "wing" was opened in January 1980. The library collection contains approximately 400,000 volumes housed on three floors. In addition to the collections, Magrath Library contains Circulation and Reference Services, the OIT Computer Lab, the SMART Learning commons, and an extended hours study area.
Dr. C. Peter Magrath
Dr. C. Peter Magrath (pronounced muh-GRAW) was the University of Minnesota's 11th President from 1974-1984. In 1998 the library's name was changed to Magrath Library from St. Paul Campus Central Library. Dr. Magrath served as President of the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges from 1992 through 2005. He was elected as the President of Binghamton University in 2010.