The Fall 2014 exhibit in the Mathematics Library showcases STATCOM, a new U of MN student-run group offering free statistical consulting for local non-profit, governmental, and community service organizations.
Library resources on statistical consulting and STATCOM:
- Anderson, J. E., and Sungur, E. A. (1999), “Community Service Statistics Projects,” The American Statistician, 53(2): 132-136.
- Boen, James R.; Zahn, Douglas A. The Human Side of Statistical Consulting. Belmont, Calif.: Lifetime Learning Publications, 1982. Wilson Library QA276.17 .B63
- Bowdon, Melody ; Billig, Shelley; Holland, Barbara A. Scholarship for Sustaining Service-Learning and Civic Engagement. International Research Conference on Service-Learning and Community Engagement (7: 2007: Tampa, Florida). Charlotte, N.C.: Information Age Publishing, 2008. Wilson Library LC220.5 .S36
- Cabrera, Javier; McDougall, Andrew. Statistical Consulting. New York: Springer, 2002. Mathematics Library HA29 .C227
- Derr, Janice. Statistical Consulting: A Guide to Effective Communication. Australia; Pacific Grove, Calif.: Duxbury/Thomson Learning, 2000. Mathematics Library HA29 .D386
- Gullion, CM ; Berman, N. “What statistical consultants do: Report of a survey,” American Statistician, 2006, Vol.60(2), pp.130-138.
- Gunaratna, Nilupa S.; Johnson, Craig A.; Stevens, John R. “Service-Learning for Graduate Students through a Student-Run Consulting Program.” Journal of Statistics Education, 2007, Vol.15(2).
- Hahn, Gerald J. ; Doganaksoy, Necip. A Career in Statistics : Beyond the Numbers. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons, 2011. Mathematics Library QA276.17 .H34
- Hand, David J.; Everitt, Brian. The Statistical Consultant in Action. Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1987. Magrath or Wilson Library QA276.17 .S73
- Morganstein, David. “Consulting best practices.” AMSTAT news: the membership magazine of the American Statistical Association, 2012, Issue 423, pp.26-27.
- Ochsenfeld, CA and Olbricht, GR. (2009) “Statistical Community Service: What Role Can Students Play?", Amstat News, December 2009, Issue 390: 11-12.
- Root, R., and Thorme, T. (2001), “Community-Based Projects in Applied Statistics: Using Service-Learning to Enhance Student Understanding,” The American Statistician, 55(4): 326-331.
- Rustagi, Jagdish S; Wolfe, Douglas A. Teaching of statistics and statistical consulting: proceedings of a conference held at the Ohio State University, November 24-25, 1980. New York: Academic Press, 1982. Mathematics Library QA276.18 .T43
- Zahn, D. A. and Isenberg , D. J. 1980. “Non-statistical aspects of statistical consulting.” The American Statistician, Vol. 37, No. 4, Part 1 (Nov., 1983), pp. 297-302.