Hiring students for Fall '18:
Math - 1031 or 1051 (must have two open class periods - back-to-back - every Thursday)
9:05 and 10:10 or
10:10 and 11:15 or
12:20 and 1:25
Chemistry - 1015
Do you enjoy helping others learn? Are you looking for a rewarding academic work experience?
Facilitate weekly sessions (50 minutes) for students enrolled in the course
Review assignments and select concepts for students to work on in small groups
Attend one lecture each week (paid)
Attend a weekly meeting with other PAL facilitators to share and reflect on PAL session activities (paid)
Represent the PAL program in a professional and positive manner.
- Completion of the course at U of MN, with an A- or better
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A strong desire to help others learn
- Previous experience coaching or tutoring is a plus
- Currently enrolled undergraduates at the University of Minnesota and eligible for student employment (taking 6 credits or more)
- Maintain a 3.2 college grade point average
- International students - you must have a SETTA score of 1 to qualify
- Weekly commitment: 5-7 hours per week
- Weekly preparation (2-3 hours), lecture attendance (one per week), facilitating PAL session/s (1-2 hours) and team meeting (1 hour).
Initial pay is $10.75/hr.
Salary increases with training and experience and completion of OUE 3050 course - Introduction to Peer Education
- Develop leadership, organization, and planning skills and other resume-building experiences while helping peers
- Improve ability and confidence speaking to groups
- Be part of a motivated, high performing team
- Network with other PAL facilitators
- Credit opportunity: This experience can qualify as a one credit directed study and/or a pre-teaching experience for the College of Education
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
SMART Hours & Locations
Looking for group study space?
Rooms in SMART's Walter and Magrath locations can be reserved for two-hour blocks up to two weeks in advance.