For a complete listing of jobs (including Civil Service, Academic, Student, and Graduate Assistant positions) please visit the University of Minnesota Job Center.
Current Professional Opportunities
The following professional positions are currently available at the University Libraries:
- Curator, Tretter Collection in GLBT Studies
- Medical School Liaison
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Department Director
- Reference Outreach & Instruction Librarian
- Social Sciences and Professional Programs Department Director
Student Administrative Assistant job this Winter Break and Spring in Wilson Library (West Bank)!
- The position includes providing support for Libraries Administration Reception area, including answering and directing calls, welcoming guests, supporting clerical activities, opening/closing the office, and running errands/deliveries on campus.
- Best-qualified candidates have strong organizational, customer service, and phone skills.
- Work Study preferred with a pay rate of $9.50/hour.
- Shifts available Winter Break: 12/27-29, 1/4-1/5, 8:30- 5:00pm! Shifts available Spring Semester: Mon: 8:00am -12pm; Tues: 8:00am - 2:00pm; Wed: 8:00am -12pm; Thursday: 8:00am-2:00pm. Spring Semester Hours available Monday - Thursday, 8am-5pm.
- To apply, email a resume, cover letter and your class schedule/available work times to Grace Butkowski (email@example.com)
Student position in the Bio-Medical Library (East Bank)!
- Assist patrons at our busy service desk.
- Find materials in the stacks, shelve books and journals.
- Answer phones, work with library databases and catalog, and other duties as assigned.
- Work Study Award for Spring 2018 required.
- Starting pay is $9.50/hour.
- We are hiring NOW for the spring.
- To apply, email your 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) available hours to Melissa Aho (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Interested in helping others in math, chemistry, or computer science? Become a Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) Facilitator
- Peer-Assisted Learning Facilitators lead group student learning activities and small group sessions to engage students deeper understanding of course concepts.
- PALS receive excellent training and rewarding leadership experience. This experience is helpful if you plan on becoming a classroom teacher or a Teaching Assistant appointment in graduate school. Lead a 50 minute session each week in Chemistry 1015; or lead two weekly 50 minute sessions on Thursdays in Math 1031 (College Algebra) or Math 1051 (Pre-Calculus I), or lead a 50 minute session in CSCI 2021.
- Qualified candidates will have completed freshman year on campus, have overall GPA of 3.2 or above, A- or A in math, Chem 1015, CSCI 2021 and demonstrate strong study skills. Work Study preferred but not required with a pay rate at $10.75/hour. Must attend 1 day training on campus: Jan 12, 2018 (paid activity).
- To apply, go to https://z.umn.edu/2tbk. Contact Mary Lilly (email@example.com) with questions.
Student position in Minitex (East Bank)
- We are hiring NOW for the spring semester - We are looking for someone available to start over January break
- In this position, you will get books and journals from Walter, Math, Architecture and Journalism Libraries. Scan articles and book chapters. Check materials out and update system records and shelve books and journals.
- Starting pay is $9.65/hour with Work Study Awards preferred.
- To apply, email Nicole Masika (firstname.lastname@example.org) with cover letter, resume and spring semester hours of availability.
Office Assistant for Minitex in Wilson Library (West Bank)
- Minitex is a state wide library consortium housed at the University of Minnesota Libraries.
- We are hiring a Front desk student library assistant/receptionist who works with the Communication + Organizational Support unit. Our unit supports the Minitex staff, greets staff and customers, answer phones, and give directions.
- Must be able to work in Google documents. spreadsheets, database updates, conference material preparation, other duties as assigned.
- Hours: Mon 11:00 - 4:30, Tues 8:00 - 12:00, Fri 10:30 am - 2:30 pm. Hourly rate is: $9.50 position immediately available - need to hire ASAP!
- Prefer undergraduate student with work study (6 credits or more). To apply, email your resume and course schedule to Tammi Halverson at email@example.com.
We hire hundreds of students each year in many different positions including:
- Work in busy Wilson, Walter, Bio-Med or Magrath - pulling and shelving books, helping patrons and more.
- Work in one of our Archives sorting materials, scanning, or helping researchers use the materials.
- Work in the underground storage caverns processing materials with our partner Minitex.
- Our Peer Research Consultants tutor students one-on-one on finding sources and academic library research skills.
- Work as a media consultant in the SMART Learning Commons Media Services and help students on their video projects. Student job postings for the University Libraries are posted through the Office of Human Resources under Student Job Postings (Select "TLIB Libraries, University" under "College.")
Students from all Library and Information Science degree programs are welcome to complete internships at the University of Minnesota. Current opportunities are listed below, or contact a librarian or the HR office to ask about building an internship.