Upcoming Call for Publications
September 17 2021 proposals due, notifications of acceptance sent October 22 2021. Read the current call for publications.
University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing invites proposals to transition existing society journals to open access and publish out-of-print books. Working with the editors, UMN Libraries Publishing provides technical infrastructure and long-term preservation services to support the discovery and use of the digital publication. This call for proposals responds to the growing interest in open access from authors, editors, and funders. Email email@example.com to get started.
Who is Eligible?
- Faculty members, staff members, students*, departments, centers, or colleges associated with the University of Minnesota
- Nonprofit, scholarly societies. (To qualify for support from Publishing Services, a UMN affiliate must have close ties to the society and publication.)
*Student run publications must have UMN faculty or department sponsorship.
Basic Services, include with all publications:
- Web hosting
- Peer review and content management systems
- Planning and support for intellectual property rights
- Backfile upload
- Creation and management of standard identifiers (e.g., ISSN, DOIs, etc.)
- Usage statistics report for editor(s)
- Digital preservation
- Search engine optimization
- Author/editor support
Advanced Services, available at additional costs:
- Graphic Design Services
- Custom Software Development
- Layout & Typesetting of individual works
- JATS XML (for PubMed)
- Development of Figures/Charts/Graphs
- Plagiarism Detection
- Print proofs
During the proposal review process, an estimated budget will be shared with the Steward of the publication. University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing will not assist in the management of the publication (e.g., recruiting content, finding editorial staff, enlisting reviewers, marketing the publication, etc.).
What types of publications will be considered?
- All publications must be comprised primarily of scholarly content;
- The publication cannot be fully supported by other enterprise-wide systems such as OIT Drupal or Google Sites;
- Journals, conference proceedings, monographs, textbooks, web-based projects
All content published by University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing is openly available to view and read. Unlike traditional online publishers, readers do not need to register or pay to view content. Additionally, many of our works are openly licensed using Creative Commons Licenses. Creative Commons Licenses allow authors/editors to describe how the work may be reused. Depending on the type of publication, publication goals, and editorial decisions, readers will find a range of Creative Common Licenses. For information on the licensing attached to individual works, please visit our Published Works page and visit the policy/about pages for each title.
The copyright of individual works published by the University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing remains with the original creator or editorial team. Content published by the University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing can be deposited by the original creator or editorial team in institutional and subject repositories. For uses beyond those covered by law or the Creative Commons license, permission to reuse should be sought directly from the copyright owner listed in the About pages.
The University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing works with Portico to preserve all journal content for longterm access.