July 15 2019 proposals due, notifications of acceptance sent September 13 2019
Who is Eligible?
Any individual faculty member, staff member, student*, department, center, or college associated with the University of Minnesota may publish content with the University Libraries.
We will also support the publication of materials that have been edited or sponsored by University of Minnesota-affiliated departments, research units, individual faculty members, staff, or graduate students. For example, a journal edited by a UMN faculty member or sponsored by a UMN department may publish articles written by scholars outside the University of Minnesota.
Similarly, a UMN research unit may publish the proceedings from a hosted conference, regardless of the institutional affiliation of conference attendees.
University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing also welcomes proposals for nonprofit, society-stewarded publications. To qualify for support from Publishing Services, a UMN affiliate must have close ties to the society and publication at the onset of the relationship.
*Student run publications must have UMN faculty or department sponsorship with active involvement in their effort.
University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing will support the production and dissemination of accepted publications by providing access to publishing platforms that have both editorial features as well as public display options. University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing will not assist in the management of the publication (e.g., finding editorial staff, enlisting reviewers, marketing the publication, etc.).
Basic Services, include with all publications as needed:
- Publication hosting - Development of a public-facing site that displays and provides access to the contents of the publication
- Editorial back-end service - Access to software systems to manage the editorial and peer-review functions required for a scholarly publication as well as the manuscript management system for create volumes and issues.
- Intellectual property rights - planning and support
- Backfile upload
- Creation and management of standard identifiers (e.g., ISSN, DOIs, etc.)
- Usage statistics report for editor(s) and contributors
- Preservation of digital publications
- Search engine optimization
- Unlimited author/editor support
- Print-run or Print-on-Demand Production
Advanced Services, available through third party contracts:
During the proposal review process, an estimated budget will be shared with the Steward of the publication.
- Graphic Design Services
- Theme Planning & Implementation
- Custom Software Development
- Layout & Typesetting of individual works
- Backfile conversion
- XML Creation
- Development of Figures/Charts/Graphs
- Plagiarism Detection
- Print proofs
What Content Types are Supported?
University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing will provide support for the following types of original scholarly content:
- The proposed publication and resulting site must be comprised primarily of scholarly content.
- It should be determined that the publication cannot be fully supported by current enterprise-wide systems such as Blogger, OIT Drupal, or Google Sites
Examples of the Types of Publications We Can Support:
- digital journal publishing
- original book-length works
- open educational resources (OER) and open textbooks
- digital publishing services for conferences
- interactive scholarly sites
Experimental or nontraditional forms of scholarship are encouraged, but the acceptance of these types of projects will be determined by our current technical capacity as well as platform considerations or constraints.
All content published by University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing is openly available to view and read. Unlike traditional online publishers, readers do not need to register or pay to view content. Additionally, many of our works are openly licensed using Creative Commons Licenses. Creative Commons Licenses allow authors/editors to describe how the work may be reused. Depending on the type of publication, publication goals, and editorial decisions, readers will find a range of Creative Common Licenses. For information on the licensing attached to individual works, please visit our Published Works page and visit the policy/about pages for each title.
The copyright of individual works published by the University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing remains with the original creator or editorial team. For uses beyond those covered by law or the Creative Commons license, permission to reuse should be sought directly from the copyright owner listed in the About pages.