Copyright, Use, and Purchasing Information

Dedication

Foreword by John Bennett Shaw

Editor's Note

Introduction

Acknowledgements

Notes On The Entries

Letter from Sherlock Holmes

Abbreviations of Sherlock Holmes Periodicals

Abbreviations of the Tales

The Universal Sherlock Holmes

Copyright Statement

The Universal Sherlock Holmes is copyrighted by Ronald Burt De Waal and George Vanderburgh. The web version of The Universal Sherlock Holmes is intended as a reference tool for those interested in the Sherlock Holmes Collections at the University of Minnesota. It is not intended as a substitute for the print or electronic versions of the bibliography that are still available for sale.

Purchasing Information

De Waal, Ronald B., The Universal Sherlock Holmes, Toronto: Metropolitan Toronto Library, 1994. Foreword by John Bennett Shaw. Illustrated by Betty and George Wells. George Vanderburgh, editor. Volumes 1-5, with Index.

ISBN 1-896032-00-1  5 Volumes Cerlox Bound $180.00
ISBN 1-896032-01-X  5 Volumes Unbound Sheets $180.00
ISBN 1-896032-01-X  5 Volumes Hard Cover  $280.00
Postage $15.00 per set for North America,
  $30.00 per set Overseas

The Hyper-The Universal Sherlock Holmes
The complete text of the five volume Universal Sherlock Holmes for your computer. MSDOS compatible and MAC compatible with DOS shell software.

hyper-USH ISBN 1-896032-21-4 and
Index-USH ISBN 1-896032-60-5  $80.00
 Postage $3.00

•All Prices in U.S. Dollars.•

George A. Vanderburgh, M.D.
The Battered Silicon Dispatch Box
gav@cablerocket.com
P.O. Box 50, R.R. #4
Eugenia, Ontario
Canada N0C 1E0

or

Box 122
Sauk City, Wisconsin
USA 53583
magicJack voice line: (608) 721-2166
www.batteredbox.com
Weblog: www.batteredbox.wordpress.com

History

The Universal Sherlock Holmes (1994) is the third is a series of bibliographies documenting the world of Sherlock Holmes by Ronald Burt De Waal. The World Bibliography of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson: A Classified and Annotated List of Materials Relating to Their Lives and Adventures, was published by the New York Graphic Society in 1974. The World Bibliography of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson was followed by The International Sherlock Holmes, from Archon Books in 1980.

Additions & Corrections

This web version of The Universal Sherlock Holmes will be annotated with the holdings of the Sherlock Holmes Collections at the University of Minnesota in the near future. Additions and corrections will be made to the web Universal Sherlock Holmes as the holdings listed in the bibliography are added. The large quantity of unlisted material in the collections will also be integrated within the format established by Ronald B. De Waal.

If you would like to submit an addition or correction to the web Universal Sherlock Holmes please check with the Tim Johnson, Curator of Special Collections and Rare Books, to see if the item is already part of the Sherlock Holmes Collections. A full bibliographic description of the item including its size would be most appreciated with any submittal.

Timothy J. Johnson
Curator, Special Collections & Rare Books
University of Minnesota Libraries, 111 Elmer L. Andersen Library
222 21st Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN  55455

telephone: 612-624-3552
fax: 612-625-5525
e-mail: johns976@umn.edu

Dedication

For my grandchildren
Sadee, Lacee, and Samee
who have brought so much joy into my life

A Long Evening with Holmes

When the world closes in with its worries and cares
And my problems and headaches are coming in pairs
I just climb in my mind up those seventeen stairs
And spend a long evening with Holmes.

The good Doctor greets me and motions me in
Holmes grasps my hand and lays down his violin
Then we sit by the fire and sip a tall gin
When I spend a long evening with Holmes.

And while we're discussing his cases galore
If I'm lucky there comes a loud knock on the door
In stumbles a client, head splattered with gore

Watson binds up the client's poor face
While Holmes soon extracts all the facts of the case
Then off in a hansom to Brixton we race

The Adventure is solved, Holmes makes it all right
So back to the lodgings by dawn's early light
And a breakfast by Hudson to wind up the night

So the modern rat race can't keep me in a cage
I have a passport to a far better age
As close as my bookcase, as near as a page
I can spend a long evening with Holmes.

--William P. Schweickert, BSI

Foreword by John Bennett Shaw

I am interested in Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and the world in which they live. So what do I do? I obtain as many books, pamphlets, periodicals, Holmes society publications, video and audio tapes, and other material such as statues, puzzles, plaques, T-shirts, mugs, and even a Professor Moriarty toilet seat as I can. When a person becomes interested (in my case, fascinated) in a subject, he/she needs guidelines, help, and references about sources of information on the subject. And if Sherlock Holmes is the subject, the person needs, nay, must have a bibliography. And that leads to Ronald Burt De Waal and his massive compilations.

Let us begin at the beginning. I have been a reader of the Sherlock Holmes stories since childhood. Later, after college, I made a simple (and how rash!) decision to collect Sherlockiana. And now, after five decades, I am still acquiring, reading, and shelving this material.

Twenty-seven years ago at a Baker Street Irregulars' dinner on West 23rd Street in New York City I met a young man who said, "I am Ron De Waal and I plan to compile a world bibliography on Sherlock Holmes." I thought, "He is mildly insane," and then, "Good heavens, I hope he does it." The outcome of this chance meeting led De Waal to spending ninety-seven days (and by `day' I mean a full twelve hours) in my library working on his bibliographical project.

He visited several times when I lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and then many times in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Further, there have been countless letters and phone calls. It seems we are a good pair: I am a blotter-type collector and he is obsessed with listing and describing it all.

Ronald De Waal and his prodigious and ambitious literary project are a success — for him a triumph; for me a justification for being a one-subject collector. It is De Waal who made my efforts worthwhile.

This new edition is an astounding source of information. "Never," as Christopher Morley wrote, "has so much been written by so many for so few." The bibliography contains entries (many include more than one item), which is some way relate to the Great Detective and Conan Doyle and their numerous friends everywhere.

Sherlock Holmes lives and continues to thrive because of the genius of Conan Doyle (often referred to as Dr. Watson's Literary Agent) and of scholars like De Waal. The accounts of Holmes and Watson, as well as the writings of the imitators and commentators, will always be read and enjoyed. And the pleasure of these readers will be enhanced and encouraged by Ronald De Waal's efforts. This is a most enduring scholarly production.

As a reader and collector of the printed word, I can never thank Ron enough for his incredible contribution, foresight, and energy to the cause of "keeping green the memory of the Master Detective."
John Bennett Shaw, BSI
"The Hans Sloane of My Age"

Editor's Note

On the way to La Guardia Airport in the back of a taxi, after the 1992 BSI weekend, Ron De Waal and I agreed to do an electronic version of his Sherlock Holmes bibliography. In the spring of 1992 Ron sent along a couple of computer disks from John Jenson that contained the first two sections of the new bibliography in WordPerfect 4.2 format. In August 1992 Ron sent me his first box of index cards.

In January 1993 I presented Ron with a printout of the work to date, and we recognized at that point that the eventual publication of an Electronic Edition would strongly discourage a potential professional publisher from investing capital in producing a trade edition. We agreed that I would continue to scan the boxes of cards into the computer. In the spring of 1993, I started to edit the scanned text of the first two bibliographies. Bob Gellerstedt performed a lion's share of this tedious, time consuming task, and the job was completed in July 1993. I obtained the last of the 26 boxes of card, which contained the new entries for Television and Comic Books, in August 1993.

I then produced a completed printout of the work thus far, that is 1.28 million words on 1324 pages of 8½" x 11" two column eight point type, duplicated it in three copies and drove to Buffalo for a quick study in the art of bookbinding with Don Pollock. One of the three-volume sets, when bound, was mailed to Ron for his editorial red pencil markings in early September.

In October Ron De Waal wrote to me requesting a delay in publication of The Universal Sherlock Holmes in order to allow him sufficient opportunity to proofread the draft of the merged three-volume bibliography. Combining the new entries with the entries in the two previous editions has certainly made for a complex bibliography.

New deadlines were set, and work continued in obtaining firm orders. New, improved sections of text continued to arrive from Ron. His introduction to the work itself and short introductions to each of the major sections were incorporated into the final draft. Completely revised Manuscript and Periodical sections arrived and were also scanned and incorporated.

I received Volume 1 back from Ron in November 1993, and completed the red pencil mark corrections, moved entries, making consolidations of various entries spanning the first two published volumes, and typos. Volume 2 arrived the first week in December and a similar correcting process occurred.

A Galley Proof Edition was produced for the BSI weekend in New York in January 1994, and this was sold to Andy Peck, after some spirited back and forth bidding by two other potential purchasers. Ron continued to edit the last four sections, and other Sherlockians helped, including Cameron Hollyer (who was always a tower of strength throughout the project), Bill Cochran, Gordon Speck, and Anders Hammarqvist. I received the last of Ron's changes for Sections 10 through 12 in March 1994 and then started the final page lay out, including the illustrations in April 1994. I received and incorporated some last minute suggestions for lapel pins from Ron on 26 April 1994, then phoned Ron and asked permission to proceed to the printing press at 14:10.

The three volumes were expanded to four to accommodate the tight fit of the 24 lb paper and the 1500 pages into three volumes. Hunter green (to keep the memory) was selected as the fourth colour.

A word about the Table of Contents: Fortunately, the entire 13 pages is generated automatically by the computer. Each of the section headings is tagged in the file, and I believe the page numbers are accurate, at least I hope they are! I am also confident that if they are not, I will promptly hear about it from somebody.

A word about the Selective Concordance: The final text was indexed with a program called ISYS, which also produced a list of approximately 55,000 different words. I scanned this list, selecting suitable words to include a secondary list to act as a concordance to enable the computer to automatically generate a list of entry occurrences for each word in the list. In order to generate the list by entry number instead by page number, I changed the formatting of the printout so that each entry was on a separate page and then saved the file a second time to disk. The computer then generated the requisite Selective Concordance — over 2 days! In fact I should mention that the computer worked overnight a number of times in the preparation of this bibliography. The concordance is far from complete, and if an individual purchaser wishes a printout of the entries for any particular word or words, he/she should send the word list along enclosing sufficient postage, and I will have the computer generate the entries and return it — ideally very promptly. It is interesting to note that words "Sherlock" and "Holmes" occur 14,743 and 20,076 times respectively and therefore are not included in this concordance.

This selective concordance will prove useful when looking up a name such as "De Waal", however it will prove cumbersome looking up an entry for "Green" or "Smith" because the computer is unable to distinguish between the colour and the surname in the former, and multiple authors with the same surname in the latter. No attempt has been made to prepare another alphabetical Author and Title Index; this list will be rendered redundant after the publication of the Electronic Edition of the bibliography.

So far I have used this literary work in a number of different ways and I would like to describe some examples.

I purchased two used children's books back from a book dealer who keeps her eyes pealed for anything related to Sherlock or Doyle in the tiny village of Flesherton, Ontario. I had not seen either book before, and I wanted to see if they were "listed in De Waal." I proceeded to look the authors up alphabetically in Section XII, and lo and behold there they were, along with more information about second printings and other works by the same author. The moral of this anecdote is: once you have an item to look up, you have to know which section to look in first, in order to locate it. A working knowledge of the twelve sections is therefore of fundamental importance before the volumes can be effectively utilized.

Before I travelled to Nairobi, Kenya in April 1993 for a six-week tour of duty with the Canadian Air Force, I wanted to know if the Canon had been translated into the national language. I checked in the then three separate parts in the Foreign Language Edition section and found two Swahili pastiches, but none of the sixty stories; now "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" has been successfully translated.

A word about the binding: The press run for this first edition was limited to the number of paid orders received by 1 May 1994 plus an additional number for potential sale to libraries if they decided to order. There were two binding options; either cerlox bound in four volumes or entirely unbound with a left edge suitable for private hand binding of the pages. The cost of quality hard binding is prohibitive, and the cost of utilitarian perfect binding is reasonable, but, in the long run, would prove as unsatisfactory to the collector as cerlox binding. The cerlox binding allows the volumes to lie flat, and individual pages may be duplicated without difficulty. Thus the cerlox, while it won't wear well when handled by the public, should hold up well when handled by the individual owner, and with supplements, or notes added by the user, the four volumes will never become dated nor superannuated.

The Adventure of Archival Paper Purchase (seventy cartons of paper weighing in excess of 2½ tons) is an experience that I would choose not to repeat here, but it makes for a good story if you want to buy me lunch! There are a couple of pages intentionally left blank to allow each major section to start on an odd numbered page. The individual purchaser may choose to mount his/her favourite illustration of A.C.D. on either or both of these pages; or they may choose to continue to play that great game which forms the basis of these four volumes in the first place.

These four volumes would benefit from both a complete Title and Author Index. This compilation would have extended the date of publication by at least another six months. However when the electronic edition appears (as soon a Moriarty permits) this effort would be made redundant!

I could cut yet another tree and give you some detailed instructions on how to look up an entry, but your own detailed perusal of The Table of Contents, always remembering the twelve major section headings and thumbing through The Selected Concordance, should get you well started.

This book is a clarion call to the Sherlockian clerisy everywhere to submit information to Ron so he can compose the entries to include in the first supplement to this edition. Robertson Davies defined the clerisy as "those who read for pleasure, but not for idleness; who read for pastime but not to kill time; who love books, but do not live by books. The clerisy are not professional critics or scholars, tirelessly assessing books, or bound by their work to read a lot of books that give them no pleasure. The clerisy are those who seek, and find, delight and enlargement of life in books. The clerisy are those for whom reading is a personal art."

And so I could ramble on and on; however in conclusion, suffice it to say I believe that Ron's collective work is a unique literary carbuncle mine for every Sherlockian to work and rework to his/her own advantage in order to elucidate, enunciate and annotate their particular Sherlockian interest or theory or wanton speculation. In closing, it is fitting to restate again that "the interplay of ideas and the oblique uses of knowledge are often of extraordinary interest." (Vall)
George A. Vanderburgh, M.Bt. et cetera
Shelburne, Ontario

Anno Holmes cxl

Introduction

This bibliography is a comprehensive record of the appearances in books, periodicals and newspapers of the Sacred Writings or Canonical tales (fifty-six short stories and four novels), the Apocrypha and the manuscripts written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle between 1886 and 1927, together with the translations of these tales into sixty-three languages, plus Braille and shorthand, the writings about the Writings or higher criticism, writings about Sherlockians and their societies, memorials and memorabilia, games, puzzles and quizzes, phonograph records, audio and video tapes, compact discs, laser discs, ballets, films, musicals, operettas, oratorios, plays, radio and television programs, parodies and pastiches, children's books, cartoons, comics, and a multitude of other items — from advertisements to wine — that have accumulated throughout the world on the two most famous characters in literature.

It covers the period from the publication of A Study in Scarlet in 1887 to the 60th anniversary of The Baker Street Irregulars on January 7, 1994 — just a day after Sherlock Holmes's 140th birthday. The entries (many list more than one item) include the entries in volumes 1 and 2 as well as those for volume 3. The bibliography is divided into twelve parts and many sections and subsections. The Table of Contents lists the subject headings used, and the Index is a selected concordance of personal last names and key words from titles — and is not complete.

The idea of compiling a bibliography on Sherlock Holmes occurred to me after reading William S. Baring-Gould's article, "`A Singular Set of People,'" in the January 1966 issue of Esquire. From it I first learned about The Baker Street Irregulars, and the discovery led to my attending their annual dinners in New York and to eventually being invested with the title of "Lomax, the Sub-Librarian" and then receiving the coveted Two-Shilling Award. BaringGould's article rekindled the interest I had in Sherlock Holmes, when, as a child, I sat spellbound with my brother and mother, watching or listening to the incomparable performances of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce on the screen or radio. Had it not been for my mother, I would never have developed an interest in the Master Detective. And had it not been for Baring-Gould's article, I would never have re-entered the world of Sherlock Holmes and compiled this bibliography.

In my wildest imagination, I could not have known that the time would come when I would actually dine at New York's Cosmopolitan Club with Edith Meiser, the author of those marvellous broadcasts, or spend an evening with the wife of "Sherlock Holmes," Ouida Rathbone, or find myself in the company of such an august group as The Baker Street Irregulars, or scale the same treacherous rocky wall above the Reichenbach Falls that Holmes climbed and, also like Holmes, imagine that I could hear Moriarty's voice "screaming at me out of the abyss," or compile an award-winning bibliography about my two childhood heroes. There are not words enough to express my profound gratitude to all those who helped make these magical experiences possible.

The compilation of this bibliography has been a great intellectual adventure. The primary motivation in compiling it, though, has been to make a record of the contributions of countless Sherlockians and others. In so doing, their efforts have been recorded for posterity. The bibliography will also serve as a reference source for the researcher and collector, as well as provide an overview of the Holmes phenomena, as John Bennett Shaw likes to call it.

Compiling a world bibliography on such a popular literary character as Sherlock Holmes is an enormous undertaking, and without a computer it is almost impossible. Still, I have done my best, and the results of my efforts are on these pages. Now that the majority of items have been listed and described, I will begin the task of listing new items for a projected supplement. It would help if interested persons could send information about items that either were overlooked or were omitted. Errors can also be brought to my attention. (See Appendices for appropriate documentation.)

Although the bibliography is not complete, it is perhaps as complete as anyone could make it. I have not only collected and listed thousands of publications and other items, but also have obtained information from the libraries of collectors like John Bennett Shaw and Peter E. Blau and from the Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library. Without these collections this bibliography would not have been possible.

In spite of a full-time position as Humanities Librarian at Colorado State University Libraries for many years — actually I started on the bibliography soon after accepting the position vacated by Austin McLean, who, ironically, became the curator of the Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes collection at the University of Minnesota Libraries — plus helping to raise a dear son, spending an increasing amount of time in recent years with my three granddaughters to whom this book is dedicated, and encountering some serious setbacks, I have managed to find time to pursue my bibliographic and collecting activities.

Even with all the work, there has been a great deal of joy in being hot on the trail of the Master Detective. Certainly my life has been far richer because of him. Sherlock Holmes was my childhood hero and no doubt will continue to be for the remainder of my life. He is hardly what you would call an ideal person (which heroes are?), but his remarkable deductive powers, his multifaceted personality, his excellence in many disciplines, his eccentric life-style, his compassion for the downtrodden, his efforts to right miscarriages of justice, his friendship with Dr. Watson, and, yes, his "love" for one woman (Irene Adler) have always intrigued and inspired me. Holmes once remarked that he would be lost without his Boswell (Watson). Well, I and most Sherlockians would be lost without their Holmes.

Holmes exclaimed to Watson in "The Red-Headed League" that his life was spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace. Perhaps Sherlockians feel much the same, in that they not only share in the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, but, for a while, even become Holmes and Watson. Edgar W. Smith, who, in my opinion, had a greater affinity with the Master than any other Sherlockian, expressed this idea so eloquently in his article "The Implicit Holmes":

It is not Sherlock Holmes who sits in Baker Street, comfortable, competent and self-assured; it is we ourselves who are there, full of a tremendous capacity for wisdom, complacent in the presence of our humble Watson, conscious of a warm well-being and a timeless, imperishable content. The easy chair in the room is drawn up to the hearthstone of our very hearts — it is our tobacco in the Persian slipper, and our violin lying so carelessly across the knee — it is we who hear the pounding on the stairs and the knock upon the door. The swirling fog without and the acrid smoke within bite deep indeed, for we taste them even now. And the time and place and all the great events are near and dear to us not because our memories call them forth in pure nostalgia, but because they are a part of us today.

That is the Sherlock Holmes we love — the Holmes implicit and eternal in ourselves.

That magical 221b Baker Street and all the Canonical characters who inhabit our minds and hearts are a world in themselves. And we can escape into that world whenever the problems of this one become too unbearable, or when we simply want to relive another adventure with Holmes and Watson. And relive them we do, over and over again. We tag along with Holmes just as Watson did, and in our enthusiasm some of us are moved to comment on or act out these magnificent adventures. We are there by Holmes's side just as Watson is — it is a safe and wonderful place to be. Yes, Holmes is a hero to many, especially to me.

If there is a Great Hereafter (certainly Conan Doyle thought so), I hope that we will be able to mingle once again not only with our departed loved ones but also with all those characters who have so fascinated us on the printed page. Surely there is room in Heaven for both man and his creations. Conan Doyle will be there and so will Holmes and Watson and all the other characters whom we have grown to love (or hate) in the Sacred Writings, and sacred they are to all those who are frequent visitors at 221b Baker Street.

There is a fine line between reality and fantasy. They blend well in our minds. Some persons even cross that line. One example is the brilliant lawyer, Justin Playfair, who comes to believe that he is actually Sherlock Holmes and never does recover from his "mental breakdown." In an excellent review of the film They Might Be Giants, with George C. Scott and Joanne Woodward, in the summer 1989 issue of Canadian Holmes, Donna Brown ends by quoting the following dialogue:

Watson: "I'm not afraid, because you're with me."
Holmes: "And we'll always be together?"
Watson: "All our lives. Ah, Holmes! You then utter the credo of Sherlockians everywhere: I can't remember how I lived before you came."

The film is a favorite among Sherlockians, particularly John Bennett Shaw. I myself am just as eager to meet Holmes and Watson (and Conan Doyle) as I am to meet Beethoven and Mozart. They must all be out there — somewhere in our vast universe.

For those sceptics who doubt Holmes's existence, I refer them to Andrew L. Solberg's article in the March 1993 issue of The Baker Street Journal. Using Descarte's philosophical treatise Discourse on Method (1637), Solberg offers convincing ontological proof that the detective actually lived (lives). He ends his fine article by suggesting that "the next time someone asks you how you know that Sherlock Holmes ever existed, simply answer, `Cogitat, ergo est' (`He thinks, therefore he is')."

Steven T. Doyle, editor of The Sherlock Holmes Review, points out that "while Sherlock Holmes might not be `real,' the impact and influence he has nevertheless had on the lives of many are very real, indeed." Who could deny this!

Many Sherlockians have not only tried to locate 221b Baker Street but also have attempted to find the cottage on the Sussex Downs where Sherlock Holmes retired. According to their accounts, a few have actually located the cottage and even interviewed the detective. As might be expected, his cottage is well hidden and he is a most elusive man, primarily because of his age. After all, how many of us would like to be seen (above or below ground) at the age of 140? But at least Holmes is still alive and quite fit considering his advanced age. Undoubtedly there will continue to be others who will look for Holmes's former and present residences. They are there — if only we can find them!

Ronald B. De Waal, BSI
638 12th Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT 84103

Acknowledgements

I want to thank the many Sherlockians around the world who have written and spoken words of encouragement and who have furnished information for the bibliography. I would particularly like to express my gratitude to Carl Anderson, Bliss Austin, Nathan L. Bengis, Peter E. Blau, Anthony Boucher, Dean Dickensheet, Irving Fenton, James C. Iraldi, John Bennett Shaw, and Julian Wolff for letting me come into their homes (sometimes even staying for several days) to work with their magnificent collections of Sherlockiana. I also want to thank Cameron Hollyer and Janice McNabb for all their assistance during my visits to the Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library. This bibliography could never have been compiled without access to these collections.

I am grateful to Peter E. Blau, John Bennett Shaw, and all the other Sherlockians who have provided invaluable assistance and who have sent complimentary copies of their journals and newsletters as well as articles about their activities and those of their societies. It has been particularly helpful to have Peter provide so much valuable information, especially on the latest books. And I appreciate all his helpful suggestions.

I am also grateful to Donald K. Pollock, editor of Baker Street Miscellanea, for his help with The Hound of the Baskervilles section, to Warren Randall, editor of Prescott's Press, for his thoughtful assistance, and to James O. Duval for information on the Sherlockian lapel pins.

No work of this sort is ever accomplished without immense obligation to those who have gone before, and my debt to Edgar W. Smith, Julian Wolff, Nathan L. Bengis, John Bennett Shaw, Richard Lancelyn Green, John Michael Gibson, Donald A. Redmond, Peter E. Blau, and other Sherlockians for their bibliographical studies is obvious.

It was a special pleasure to have known Dr. James Bliss Austin and his lovely wife Janet. While working on his large and rich collection of Sherlockiana and Doyleana, I was their house guest for a week; and it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life. Bliss and Janet were unusually kindhearted people, and they treated me like a member of the family. In his own way, Bliss was like Conan Doyle. He was the only Sherlockian I have ever known who reminded me of Sir Arthur, both in appearance and spirit. They were kindred souls.

Another very dear Sherlockian was Irving Fenton. He, too, possessed an outstanding Holmes library that contained what must have been the largest collection of translations of the Canon. He was able to develop this unique collection because of his wide travels. Irving bore a remarkable resemblance to Edmund Gwenn, who, in the film Miracle on 34th Street, believes himself to be Santa Claus. And Irving, in spirit at least, may very well have thought that he was Sherlock Holmes! And why not?

The time spent with these collectors and their libraries were joyful hours, indeed.

It was difficult to work with other languages but quite impossible with languages in a non-roman alphabet. Unless information in English was provided by the author, publisher, or another collector, it was often necessary to consult a colleague in the Department of Foreign Languages at Colorado State University. I want to thank Evelio Echevarria, William Lewus, Kai-Ho Mah, and George McMurray for their help. I also want to thank Hirotaka Ueda for information on Japanese publications. (A Japanese bibliography on Doyle and Holmes by Kiyoshi Arai was published as an insert in the Japanese edition of The Annotated Sherlock Holmes in 1984.) I am especially grateful to Mattias Böstrom for preparing a bibliography of Sherlockiana in Swedish. Unfortunately, there was not time enough to list all these items in my own bibliography. However, I can assure Mattias that they will be listed in the first supplement.

I also want to thank Dr. LeMoyne W. Anderson, Director Emeritus of Colorado State University Libraries, for his support and for approving two sabbaticals and numerous other leaves so that I could pursue my research activities. Like the Master Detective, I trust that he too is enjoying a well-deserved retirement.

I would be remiss if I failed to thank Eleanor Hard and Loretta Saracino of the Interlibrary Loan Department at Colorado State University Libraries for their unfailing help in securing several hundred books, microfilm reels, and photocopies of articles and reviews from numerous libraries in this country and England. I was one of their best customers!

I appreciate the work that John R. Jenson, Assistant Curator of Special Collections and Rare Books at the University of Minnesota Libraries, did in computerizing Parts I and II. Unfortunately, his heavy workload and a sabbatical leave prevented him from continuing with the project. Dr. George A. Vanderburgh not only completed the work with his electronic scanner, but also scanned volumes 1 and 2 as well as provided editorial assistance. Needless to say, I am particularly grateful to him for all his work and encouragement.

I want to express my gratitude to Cameron Hollyer and Bob Gellerstedt for helping to proofread sections of the bibliography.

Had it not been for my interest in Sherlock Holmes and my bibliography, I would never have known Bliss Austin, Nathan Bengis, Ted Bergman, Peter Blau, Bob Burr, Rudy _echura, Bill Cochran, Tom Dandrew, Lord Donegall, Irving Fenton, Bob Gellerstedt, Richard Green, Bob Hahn, Don Hobbs, Cameron Hollyer, Mike Homer, Irving Kamil, Henry Lauritzen, Jon Lellenberg, Dick Lesh, Fred Levin, Klas Lithner, Jerry Margolin, Harold ("Tyke") Niver, Luther Norris, Andy Peck, Bill Rabe, Warren Randall, Don Redmond, Christopher Roden, Al Rosenblatt, Ted Schulz, John Bennett Shaw, Paul Smedegaard, Edgar Smith, Vincent Starrett, Tom Stix, Bob Thomalen, Hirotaka Ueda, George Vanderburgh, Bill Ward, Philip Weller, Ben Wolf, Julian Wolff, Ben Wood, and a host of other Sherlockians too numerous to mention. Some of them I only met on the printed page. But I knew them just the same.

My life certainly would have been the poorer for not having known these wonderful and exciting human beings. While I have sometimes complained about the excessive amount of time and effort that have gone into this bibliography, I can honestly say that this literary endeavour and the people I have encountered along the way have enriched my life a hundred-fold. Life without Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson would be like life without dancing or my dear friends and family. In a word, unimaginable!

I would like to thank my son for tolerating my hobby while he was growing up. Although Les never became interested in Sherlock Holmes, he was always supportive of my literary efforts, even though they occasionally took time away from the activities that we often shared. Whenever we visited a bookstore he would inevitably find a Sherlock Holmes book on one of the lower shelves. He repeatedly urged me to write a "smaller book" about the Great Detective. To demonstrate how simple this is, he would draw pictures of Holmes, Watson and other Canonical characters, staple them together, and then present me with his book, which he gleefully pointed out was produced within a few hours. Perhaps I should have followed his advice. Les is now married, and he and his wife Trisha have three adorable children. The first word (name) that I taught my granddaughters to say was "Sherlock"; the second, of course, was "Grandpa." First things first!

Last but most important, I want to thank my dear mother, Marjorie H. De Waal, who not only introduced me to Sherlock Holmes by reading the stories to my brother and me before we could even read, but who has never wavered in her support of my Sherlockian activities. I doubt that I could have pursued my bibliographic work over such a long period of time without her love and understanding.

Notes On The Entries

The titles of items in serial publications or a series (newspapers, periodicals, radio and television programs, etc.), and items such as chapters in books, are in quotation marks. The titles of items that have appeared as separate publications or productions (books, pamphlets, films, plays, etc.) appear in italics. Information taken from part of a book other than the title page, or information obtained from another source, is in brackets. Translations of titles first published in a foreign language are in brackets and follow the original title. Listings of foreign language editions in brackets indicate that the language is in a non-roman alphabet. If the title is part of a series, the name of the series and the number of the part are in parentheses as the last item in the entry.

Authors' names are usually given as they have been used by those authors. The real names of pseudonymous and anonymous authors are also given, when known, and are in brackets. Authors who have consistently written under one pseudonym are usually listed under that name. If an author's name does not appear after the title of a book, it can be assumed that the book or item cited from the book was written by the author listed as the main entry.

The name of a periodical is followed by the volume and issue number, date, and page number(s). Except for reviews listed in non-Sherlockian publications, issue numbers are usually given, when know, but "whole" numbers are generally omitted. The roman numeral that occasionally follows the date of a newspaper is the section number.

An attempt has been made to give the location of a periodical or newspaper, in brackets, whenever known or not readily available or obvious. The locations of well-known London newspapers like The Times and The Daily Telegraph are not indicated.

In addition, I have tried to provide the precise name of the newspaper as well as the page number(s). Unfortunately, clipping services and Sherlockians do not always give this information. Thus, there may be inconsistencies in the names of some newspapers.

Under reviews, the article "the" in the name of a newspaper is usually omitted, but it is given when the item appears as a separate entry.

Abbreviations are used for most of the Sherlock Holmes periodicals. The names of other periodicals are given in full.

Reviews are in alphabetical order by the name of the publication; also, the issue number is usually not given for non-Sherlockian publications. With few exceptions, no distinction has been made between previews, reviews, letters, notes, and comments. They are all listed under the heading Reviews.

Whenever the dimensions of an item are given, the height, in inches, appears first; then the width; and occasionally the depth.

The letters "A," "B," and "C" are used, respectively, for The World Bibliography of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, The International Sherlock Holmes, and The Universal Sherlock Holmes. An "A" or "B" number after a "C" number is the number for the item listed in the first or second volume.

The entries have been alphabetized in major sections of the bibliography; e.g., General and Miscellaneous, Parodies and Pastiches, Children's Stories. Other, smaller sections have not. In these sections the entries are arranged into three alphabetizations: the first ("A") for volume 1, the second ("B") for volume 2, and the third ("C") for volume 3.

Whenever numbers are cited, the letter "D" can be added to signify a "De Waal number"; e.g., DA221, DB221, DC221. Many dealers follow this practice when listing Sherlockian items in their catalogues. Authors can also use the numbers when citing items in their own writings.

Letter from Sherlock Holmes

221-Bee Cottage
Sussex, England

Dear Miss Darling Clementine:

I am writing on behalf of my bibliographer and friend, Ronald De Waal, to remind you that you have an engagement with him to "trip the light fantastic" at the dance on Saturday night. He left a message saying that he would be down to get you in a hansom and that you had better be ready about half-past eight. Ronald is assisting my biographer and colleague, Dr. Watson, with a case just now or else he would have written himself. I plan to spend a quiet evening with Irene Adler, who will always be the woman in my life. Like me, she is getting along in years; consequently, our own Saturday night will be far less lively than yours. Still, in spite of our advanced age (I turned 140 on January 6), we do have our moments! She outwitted me in A Scandal in Bohemia and, much to my embarrassment, has been outwitting me ever since.

It is lovely on our farm by the sea (I do miss Baker Street though), and I hope you can visit us someday. Ronald is a regular, or should I say, an Irregular visitor here. We have had many delightful chats. As you know, he has made a record of the numerous articles, books and other items about my life. Both Watson and I eagerly await The Universal Sherlock Holmes.

Perhaps you, Irene, Ronald and I can celebrate its publication by visiting the Reichenbach Falls in Meiringen, Switzerland. Although I am far too old to re-enact my "death struggle" with the late Professor Moriarty (Ronald, of course, could stand in for me), we can at least gaze at the falls and recall the time when, by using a baritsu hold, I slipped through Moriarty's grip and, after losing his balance on the narrow path, he plunged into the chasm. Some say that his screams can still be heard above the sound of the roaring water. My athletic ability was then at its peak. Meiringen is a charming village nestled in the Alps. We could take in the sights before dining at the Englischer Hof where Watson and I stayed many years ago. It would be a marvelous outing for the four of us.

Well, I have gone too far afield. I simply meant to remind you about the dance at the Murray Arts Center in Salt Lake City. (Is it possible that the ballroom could have been named after the orderly who saved Watson's life at the Battle of Maiwand?) Ronald has spoken highly of you, and both Irene and I look forward to meeting the woman in his life. By the way, I like your name. It is reminiscent of one of my favorite American songs and Western films. Another favorite song of mine, as might be expected, is "Goodnight Irene." Do have a wonderful time at the dance, my dear. I only wish we were spry enough to join you.
Yours faithfully,

[signed] Sherlock Holmes

P.S. Please excuse my shaky signature. These old hands are not as steady as they once were.

AC — The Agony Column
ACD — A.C.D.: The Journal of The Arthur Conan Doyle Society
Afghanistanzas — Afghanistanzas
AG — The Air-Gun
APD — The Afghanistan Perceivers Dispatch
ASH Newsletter — The Adventuresses of Sherlock Holmes Newsletter
AU — The Angel Underground
BC — Buffalo Chips
BCA — The Beeman's Christmas Annual
Beaten's — Beaten's Christmas Annual
BG — The Brett Gazette
BGD — Baron Gruner's Diary
BSC — Baker Street Chronicle
BSCL — The Baker Street Cab Lantern
BSCS — A Baker Street Christmas Stocking
BSD — The Baker Street Dispatch
BSG — The Baker Street Gasogene
BSGazette — Baker Street Gazette
BSJ [OS] — The Baker Street Journal
BSJ — The Baker Street Journal (New Series)
BSM — Baker Street Miscellanea
BSN — The Baker Street News
BSP — Baker Street Pages
BSPB — The Baker Street Pillar Box
BSR — The Baker Street Regular
BSS — The Bohemian Scandal Sheet
Bulletin — Bulletin
Calabash — Calabash
Canonfire — Canonfire
CC — The Confederate Canoneer/The Confederate Chronicles
CFM — Le Catalogue de la Franco-Midland
CH — Canadian Holmes
CHJ — The Camden House Journal
CN — Covert Notes
CN (NS) — Covert Notes (New Series)
CN (NSII) — Covert Notes (New Series)
CNFB — Columbine's New-Fangled Banner
COTH — The Call of the Hunt
COTS Annual — The Country of the Saints Annual
CPBook — The Commonplace Book (Second Series) (Third Series)
CR — The Cormorant's Ring (Old Series)
CR (NS) — The Cormorant's Ring (New Series)
CTC — Communique from The Tankerville Club
DB — The Dispatch-Box [Long Beach]
DB [LA] — The Dispatch Box [Los Angeles]
DC — The Devonshire Chronicle
DCC — The Devon County Chronicle
DH — The Daily Herald
DL — The Dark Lantern
DM — The District Messenger
DP — The Dangling Prussian
DT — The Deal Table
DWL — Dr. Watson's Lancet
EL — Encyclical Letter
Elementary — Elementary
ELS — Explorations Literary Supplement
EW — East Wind
EWB — East Wind Broadsheet
Explorations — Explorations
FA — The Fluffy Ash
FC — The Freemen's Crier
FFTN — Feathers from the Nest
FH — The Full House
FMHC Annual Report — The Franco-Midland Hardware Company Annual Report
FMHC Interim Report — The Franco-Midland Hardware Company Interim Report
FPN — Five Pound Notes
FTM — From the Mantelpiece
Garroter — The Garroter
Gaslicht — Gaslicht
GJ — Ghebleeckt Journael
GMG — Grimpen Mire Gazette
GMG (NS) — Grimpen Mire Gazette (New Series)
GOI — The Good Old Index
GS — The G-String
GSDC — La Gaceta Sherlockiana de Caracas
GT&RP — The Grimpen Telegraph & Registered Post
HC — The Hurlstone Chronicle
HF — The Holmesian Federation
HH — Holmes for the Holidays
HM — Holmes' Magazin
HO — The Holmesian Observer
Holmeswork — Holmeswork
Honker — The Honker
HPapers — The Hurlstone Papers
HPress — The Hydraulic Press
ICN — The Illustrious Clients News
IN — The Irregular News
Investigations — Investigations
IR — Irregular Report
JAMS — Journal of The Amateur Mendicant Society
JCUN — John Clay's Underground Newspaper
JIS — Journal in Scarlet
KCDJ — Kansas City Daily Journal
KN — The Kennel News
LBCCSJ — The Little Bookshop at the Corner of Church Street Journal
LCH — The Log of the Canonical Hams
Lens — The Lens
LN — Lab Notes
LOTMMG — Listeners of the Modern Mazarin Gramophone
LP — The Litmus Paper
MB — The Medical Bulletin
MBook — The Memorandum- Book
MFTM — More from the Moor
MM — Mycroft's Messenger
MO — The Midnight Oil
MP — The Morning Post
MPapers — The Musgrave Papers
MSB — Moulton's Sluice-Box
MT — The Montana Times
MV — The Master's Voice
NBSPB — The New Baker Street Pillar Box
NBSR — The Noble Bachelors' Social Register
NC — The Norbury Chronicle
NCTM — The Notorious Canary-Trainers Manual
ND — The Northumberland Dispatch
NFSL — Notes from St. Luke's
NFTD — News from the Diggings
NNCC — Notes from a Notorious Card Club
NS — Naval Signals
NZI — The Nezire Zanmai International
P&D — Plugs & Dottles
Parallelogram — The Parallelogram
PBB — The Poldhu Bay Breeze
PD — The Pontine Dossier
PD (NS) — The Pontine Dossier (New Series)
PF — Poor Fish
PG — The Police Gazette
Pikestaff — The Pikestaff
PITP — The Plum in the Pudding
PL — The Pip's Log
PM — The Parish Magazine
PMW — Pun My Word
PNP — Police News of the Past
PP — Prescott's Press
PP (NS) — Prescott's Press (New Series)
PPofFC — The Pleasant Places of Florida Communication
PPP — Post-Prandial Pennings
PUn — The Pink 'Un
Q£$ — The Quarter£y $tatement
RAM — Report of The Anderson Murders of North Carolina
RC — The Report Card
RD — The Reuters Dispatch
RF — The Racing Form
RH — The Red Herring
Ritual — The Ritual
RJ — The Reichenbach Journal
RMPH — The Register of the Mexborough Private Hotel
S&CG — Stimson & Company Gazette
SBook — The Scrapbook
SBPL — A Small Brochure of Pondicherry Lodge
Scuttlebutt — Scuttlebutt from the Spermaceti Press
SDJ — The South Downs Journal
SFTC — Spokes from the Cycle
SG — Shadows of the Gnomon
Sherlockian — The Sherlockian
Sherlockiana — Sherlockiana
SHG — The Sherlock Holmes Gazette
SHIEN — Sherlock Holmes Information Exchange Newsletter
SHJ — The Sherlock Holmes Journal
SHK — Sherlock Holmes Kiyo (SNSHC)
SHR — The Sherlock Holmes Review
SHWSN — The Sherlock Holmes Wireless Society Newsletter
SIB — The Shoso-in Bulletin
SIS — Studies in Scarlet
SM — The Sherlockian Meddler
SMuse — The Serpentine Muse
SNOB — The Soft-Nosed Bullet-In
SNSHC — Studies of the Nippon Sherlock Holmes Club (SHK)
SOH — Sidelights on Holmes
SOS — Shades of Sherlock
SP — The Subjoined Paper
SR — The School Report
SS — The Scandal Sheet
SS (NS) — The Scandal Sheet [New Series]
ST — Sherlockian Tidbits
STab — The Sherlockian Tabloid
TCCC — Times of the Canonical Convocation and Caper
Telegraph — The Telegraph
Thames' Treasures — Thames' Treasures
Tiger Tales — Tiger Tales
TL — The Twisted Lip
Torists Times — The Torists Times
TP — The Third Pillar
TPP — The Three Pipe Problem
TPPP&D — Three Pipe Problem Plugs & Dottles
Treaty — The Treaty
Trosième tache — La trosième tache
TT — Tonga Times
TW — The Trigger Wire
TWT — Tide-Waiters' Tidings
UJ — Underground Jottings
USACON — U.S.A. Colonial Office Newsletter
VA — Varieties of Ash
VH [OS] — Vermissa Herald [Old Series]
VH — The Vermissa Daily Herald (New Series)
VJ — The Victorian Journal
WF — The Western Flyer
WH — Wisteria Hysteria
WN — The Whaling News
WSL — The Waterloo Sherlockian Letter
WW — Wheelwrightings
YS — The Young Sherlockian
YSM — The Young Swiss Messenger

Abbreviations of the Tales

Sherlock Holmes

by Jay Finley Christ

Abbe -- Abbey Grange
Bery --  Beryl Coronet
Blac --  Black Peter
Blan --  Blanched Soldier
Blue --  Blue Carbuncle
Bosc --  Boscombe Valley Mystery
Bruc --  Bruce-Partington Plans
Card --  Cardboard Box
Chas --  Charles Augustus Milverton
Copp --  Copper Beeches
Cree --  Creeping Man
Croo --  Crooked Man
Danc --  Dancing Men
Devi -- Devil's Foot
Dyin -- Dying Detective
Empt -- Empty House
Engr -- Engineer's Thumb
Fina -- Final Problem
Five -- Five Orange Pips
Glor -- Gloria Scott
Gold -- Golden Pince-Nez
Gree -- Greek Interpreter
Houn -- Hound of the Baskervilles
Iden -- Case of Identity
Illu -- Illustrious Client
Lady -- Lady Frances Carfax
Last -- His Last Bow
Lion -- Lion's Mane
Maza -- Mazarin Stone
Miss -- Missing Three-Quarter
Musg -- Musgrave Ritual
Nava -- Naval Treaty
Nobl -- Noble Bachelor
Norw -- Norwood Builder
Prio -- Priory School
RedC -- Red Circle
RedH -- Red-Headed League
Reig -- Reigate Squires
Resi -- Resident Patient
Reti -- Retired Colourman
Scan -- Scandal in Bohemia
Seco -- Second Stain
Shos -- Shoscombe Old Place
Sign -- Sign of the Four
Silv -- Silver Blaze
SixN -- Six Napoleons
Soli -- Solitary Cyclist
Spec -- Speckled Band
Stoc -- Stockbroker's Clerk
Stud -- Study in Scarlet
Suss -- Sussex Vampire
Thor -- Thor Bridge
3Gab -- Three Gables
3Gar -- Three Garridebs
3Stu -- Three Students
Twis -- Man with the Twisted Lip
Vall -- Valley of Fear
Veil -- Veiled Lodger
Wist -- Wisteria Lodge
Yell -- Yellow Face

The Apocrypha

Lost --Lost Special
ManW -- Man with the Watches

Solar Pons

by Peter A. Ruber
Revised by Ronald B. De Waal
and George A. Vanderburgh

Alum -- Aluminum Crutch
Amat -- Amateur Philologist
Asco -- Ascot Scandal
Ball -- Ball of Nostradamus
Beni -- Benin Bronze
Bish -- Bishop's Companion
BlkC -- Black Cardinal
BlkN -- Black Narcissus
Blin -- Blind Clairaudient
Book -- Bookseller's Clerk
Brok -- Broken Chessman
Camb -- Camberwell Beauty
Chin -- China Cottage
Circ -- Circular Room
Clov -- Cloverdale Kennels
Crou -- Crouching Dog
DevF -- Devil's Footprints
DogM -- Dog in the Manger
Dorr -- Dorrington Inheritance
Fata -- Fatal Glance
5Roy -- Five Royal Coachmen
FriB -- Frightened Baronet
GolB -- Golden Bracelet
Gric -- Grice-Paterson Curse
Hats -- Hats of M. Dulac
Haun -- Haunted Library
Innk -- Innkeeper's Clerk
Inta -- Intarsia Box
Late -- Late Mr. Faversham
Limp -- Limping Man
Litt -- Little Hangman
LosD -- Lost Dutchman
LosH -- Lost Holiday
LosL -- Lost Locomotive
ManB -- Man with the Broken Face
MazB -- Mazarine Blue
MisH -- Missing Huntsman
MisT -- Missing Tenants
MrFa -- Mr. Fairlie's Final Journey
Mosa -- Mosaic Cylinders
MutM -- The Muttering Man
Norc -- Norcross Riddle
Orie -- Orient Express
Para -- Paralytic Mendicant
Penn -- Penny Magenta
Perf -- Perfect Husband
Prae -- Praed Street Irregulars
Prop -- Proper Comma
Purl -- Purloined Periapt
RedL -- Red Leech
Rema -- Remarkable Worm
RetN -- Retired Novelist
Rico -- Ricoletti of the Club Foot
Rydb -- Rydberg Numbers
7Pas -- Seven Passengers
7Sis -- Seven Sisters
Shap -- Shaplow Millions
SinH -- Sinister House
6Sil -- Six Silver Spiders
Snit -- Snitch in Time
Soth -- Sotheby Salesman
Spur -- Spurious Tamerlane
Star -- The Green Stars
Ston -- Stone of Scone
SusA -- Sussex Archers
Swed -- Swedenborg Signatures
3Red -- Three Red Dwarfs
Tott -- Tottenham Werewolf
Trai -- Trained Cormorant
Trip -- "Triple Kent"
Trou -- Troubled Magistrate
Uniq -- Unique Dickensians
ViMu -- The Viennese Musician
Whis -- Whispering Knights

The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes

by Chris Redmond

Abbas -- Abbas Rubby
BlacB -- Black Baronet
DarkA -- Dark Angeles
Deptf -- Deptford Horror
Foulk -- Foulkes Rath
GoldH -- Gold Hunter
Highg -- Highgate Miracle
RedWi -- Red Widow
Seald -- Sealed Room
Seven -- Seven Clocks
2Womn -- Two Women
WaxGa -- Wax Gamblers

Schlock Homes

by Ronald B. De Waal

Adam -- Adam Bomb
Arti -- Artist's Mottle
AscT -- Ascot Tie
BigP -- Big Plunger
Coun -- Counterfeit Sovereign
Disa -- Disappearance of Whistler's Mother
DogK -- Dog in the Knight
Doub -- Double-Bogey Man
FinA -- Final Adventure
LosP -- Lost Prince
MisC -- Missing Cheyne-Stroke
MisQ -- Missing Three-Quarters
PerU -- Perforated Ulster
Prin -- Printer's Inc.
Retu -- Return of Schlock Homes
Snar -- Snared Drummer
SpeB -- Spectacled Band
StoC -- Stockbroker's Clark
Wido -- Widow's Weeds

Introduction to The Universal Sherlock Holmes
Volume 1 of The Universal Sherlock Holmes
Volume 2 of The Universal Sherlock Holmes
Volume 3 of The Universal Sherlock Holmes
Volume 4 of The Universal Sherlock Holmes

SEARCH THE UNIVERSAL SHERLOCK HOLMES