Graduated or about to graduate? Wondering what it means for your library access? Once you are no longer a current student, staff, or faculty member of the University of Minnesota your library access will change.
Your access will stay the same until a new semester begins and you are no longer a student. For example, if you are graduating in December your access will stay the same through mid-January. If you graduate in May your access will stay the same until the following fall semester begins.
Free resources through the library
Those resources that do not have the padlock symbol next to them are free to use and do not require a UMN ID and password.
Membership in the UMN Alumni Association
Alumni Association members have access to two University Libraries databases, with thousands of academic journals, trade publications, company profiles, market research reports and more. Library access is available 4-6 business days after you join the Alumni Association.
Friends of the Library
Membership includes borrowing privileges and unlimited access to the University Libraries’ public workstations (which includes onsite access to electronic journal, magazine, and newspaper subscriptions) at all Twin Cities campus libraries. While friends are welcome to access most electronic databases at library workstations, licensing agreements with our database vendors prevent us from offering remote access to these resources. Additionally, a few databases require us to limit on-site access to UMN students, faculty, and staff.
- $80/year for individuals
- $40/year for U of MN Alumni Association members ($30 for newly graduated students)
- $250/year for corporations
- $80/year for non-profit organizations
- for more information on the Friends of the Library visit https://www.continuum.umn.edu/friends/benefits/
Graduates who stay in MN
- The Electronic Library for Minnesota provides Minnesota residents with online access to magazine, journal, newspaper & encylopedia artices, and ebooks
- Request U of M material through your public libraries interlibrary loan
Graduates who leave MN
Request materials through your local public library interlibrary loan
University of Minnesota Libraries
Borrowing Privileges Staff
110 Wilson Library
309 19th Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55455