To extend your borrowing time or avoid late fees, renew materials on or before their due date.
Books may be renewed in any of the following ways
- Online through Your Account (U of M faculty, staff, and students only).
- Via email by submitting a request to email@example.com. Please include:
- Your name
- Library borrowing card number
- Title and barcode number for each item you'd like to renew
Please note: Interlibrary Loan items must be renewed through your ILLiad Account (U of M faculty, staff, and students only).
- Different renewal policies may apply to maps, reserve materials, music recordings and scores, 3-day loans, Learning Resources Center materials, and Bio-Medical Library and Law Library materials.
- Email Requests: If a renewal request is denied, email notification will be sent. Failure to read email or inability to access email will not be grounds for canceling overdue fines. If a renewal request cannot be processed, the patron will be notified.
- Renewal Limits: Twin Cities Libraries materials (excluding Interlibrary Loan materials) may be renewed a limited number of times. After that limit is reached, materials must be brought back to a Circulation desk to be renewed. Renewal limits are as follows:
- U of M Faculty, Staff , and Retirees may renew materials an unlimited number of times up to 5 years.
- U of M Graduates may renew materials an unlimited number of times up to 1 year.
- U of M Undergraduates may renew materials an unlimited number of times up to 6 months.
- Special Privilege and Friends of the Library Borrowers may renew materials up to 2 times.
- Periodicals for ALL Borrowers may be renewed up to 3 times.
- Other Exclusions: Twin Cities Libraries materials (excluding Interlibrary Loan materials) cannot be renewed:
- If a recall or hold has been placed by another patron.
- If the patron's borrowing privileges have expired.