To extend your borrowing time or avoid late fees, renew materials on or before their due date.
In order to keep your materials after the due date, please bring them into a library to be checked out again.
Materials automatically renew from the time you check them out. Once you receive an email stating the due date of an item, then they must be brought in to be renewed.
Please note: Interlibrary Loan items must be renewed through your ILLiad Account (U of M faculty, staff, and students only).
- Different renewal policies may apply to maps, reserve materials, music recordings and scores, 3-day loans, Learning Resources Center materials, and Bio-Medical Library and Law Library materials.
- Renewal Limits: Twin Cities Libraries materials (excluding Interlibrary Loan materials) may be renewed a limited number of times. After that limit is reached, materials must be brought back to a Circulation desk to be renewed. Renewal limits are as follows:
- U of M Faculty, Staff , Graduate Students and Retirees may keep items up to 2 years.
- U of M Undergraduates may keep items up to 6 months.
- Special Privilege and Friends of the Library Borrowers may keep items up to 3 months.
- Periodicals for ALL Borrowers may be kept up to 3 weeks.
- Other Exclusions: Twin Cities Libraries materials (excluding Interlibrary Loan materials) cannot be renewed:
- If a recall or hold has been placed by another patron.
- If the patron's borrowing privileges have expired.