Library Course Reserves readings can now be integrated directly into the main Moodle interface for any course that uses both Course Reserves and Moodle. This means that students can access their course readings from within Moodle, creating a single point of access for most course materials.
Course Reserves and Moodle can be integrated in two ways: 1) install the Library Resources block and/or 2) include a Library Reserves link in the main body of the Moodle course page.
Include a link to Library Reserves in the main body of the Moodle course page
A link to the "Access Course Readings (Library Reserves)" resource can also be added inside the main body (middle section) of the course page. To add this link:
1. Make sure you are using Moodle's Auto-Enrollment functionality to add students to your Moodle course. The Auto-Enrollment functionality is required for course reserves integration with Moodle.
2. Turn editing on by clicking the "Turn Editing On" button in the upper right hand corner of the course page.
3. Find and click the "+ Add an activity or resource" link in the topic/section you would like to add the link.
4. In the resulting menu, scroll to the "Resources" section and choose "Library Reserves."
5. Click "Add."
6. From there you will be given the option of choosing what group of readings you would like to add, if you have added headings to your list of readings. Groups of readings are determined by the headings that are added to your reading list (i.e. "Week 1", "Week 2", etc.) and the readings that fall under those headings:
If you have no headings for your readings, you will be given the option to simply add "All Materials."
7. The link to your readings will look something like this:
Install the Library Resources block
Most course pages within Moodle include a Library Resources block by default. The Library Resources block typically appears in the left-hand sidebar of a Moodle course page and includes a simple library catalog and article search tool, links to library resources specific to the subject of the course, library chat access, and more. If the course is making use of the Course Reserves service from the Libraries it also automatically includes a link to "Access Course Readings." If your course page does not include the Library Resources block you may install it by following these instructions:
1. Turn editing on by clicking the "Turn Editing On" button in the upper right hand corner of the course page.
2. Find the "Add a block" drop down menu at the bottom of the column on the left side of the course page.
3. Choose "Library Resources" in the menu.
4. The block should now appear in the left hand sidebar. You may configure the block if you would like to add more library links and options. Click the "gear" icon in the block to configure it further.
5. Make sure you are using Moodle's Auto-Enrollment functionality to add students to your Moodle course. The Auto-Enrollment functionality is required for course reserves integration with Moodle.
Again, the link to "Access Course Readings" will automatically appear in the block if course readings/reserves are available.
A resource link to "Access Course Readings (Library Reserves)" should now appear in the section you choose to add it to.
Clicking on the "Access Course Readings" link will present the user with a screen that looks something like this:
If you are interested in Course Reserves for your class through the libraries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have further questions about Course Reserves integration with Moodle, please contact Shane Nackerud at email@example.com.