Fall '17 Job Opening - all positions are filled
Please check back in November for our Spring '18 openings
Duties of PAL Facilitators:
This position is for students who enjoy helping others learn and are looking for a rewarding academic work experience.
- Facilitate weekly study sessions (50 minutes) for students enrolled in the course
- Review assignments and select concepts for students to work on in small groups.
- Attend one lecture each week (paid).
- Attend a weekly meeting with other PAL facilitators to share and reflect on PAL session activities and for on-going training.
- Meet with the PAL supervisor individually to discuss session planning and observations.
- Represent the PAL program in a professional and positive manner.
- Prepare session plans, worksheets or handouts, for PAL sessions; take attendance; submit materials in timely manner.
- Completion of the course at U of MN, with an A- or better (exceptions made in some instances)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A strong desire to help others learn
- Previous experience coaching or tutoring is a plus
- Currently enrolled undergraduates at the University of Minnesota and eligible for student employment
- Maintain a 3.2 college grade point average
- International students - you must have a SETTA score of 1 to qualify
- Weekly commitment: 5 hours per week
- Weekly preparation (2 hours), lecture attendance (one per week), team meeting (1 hour), and facilitating PAL session (1.5 hours).
Initial pay is $10.75/hr.
Salary increases with training and experience and completion of OUE 3050 course - Introduction to Peer Education
Apply on-line: PAL application
- Develop leadership, organization, and planning skills and other resume-building experiences while helping peers
- Improve ability and confidence speaking to groups
- Be part of a motivated, high performing team
- Network with other PAL facilitators
- Credit opportunity: This experience can qualify as a one credit directed study and/or a pre-teaching experience for the College of Education
Send an email if interested/questions to email@example.com
SMART Hours & Locations
Looking for group study space?
Rooms in SMART's Walter and Magrath locations can be reserved for two-hour blocks up to two weeks in advance.