Fall '16 Job Openings
Positions are listed below. More will be posted soon.
Duties of PAL Facilitators:
This position is for students who enjoy helping others learn and are looking for a rewarding academic work experience.
- Attend/view one lecture each week and work through assignments.
- Facilitate one weekly study session (50 minutes) for 10-20 students. Facilitators select concepts for students to work on in small groups.
- Attend a weekly meeting with other PAL facilitators to share and reflect on PAL session activities and for on-going training.
- Meet with the PAL supervisor individually to discuss session planning and observations.
- Represent the PAL program in a professional and positive manner.
- Prepare session plans, worksheets or handouts, for PAL sessions; take attendance; submit materials in timely manner.
- Completion of the course with an A- or better, or demonstrate equivalent competency
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A strong desire to help others learn
- Previous experience coaching or tutoring is a plus
- Currently enrolled undergraduates at the University of Minnesota and eligible for student employment
- Maintain a 3.2 college grade point average
- International students - you must have a SETTA score of 1 to qualify
- Weekly commitment: 5-7 hours per week
- Weekly preparation (2 hours), lecture attendance (length of one lecture per week), team meeting (1 hour), and facilitating PAL session (1 hour).
Initial pay is $10.75/hr. Salary increases with training and experience and completion of OUE 3050 course
Apply on-line: PAL application
- Develop leadership, organization, and planning skills and other resume-building experiences while helping peers
- Improve ability and confidence speaking to groups
- Be part of a motivated, high performing team
- Network with other PAL facilitators
- Credit opportunity: This experience can qualify as a one credit directed study and/or a pre-teaching experience for the College of Education
CPSY 4343 - Cognitive Development
- Child Psychology major preferred
- PAL session day and time TBD
- Attend one lecture each week (T, TH 2:30-3:45)