Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) Job Openings Fall '15
Fall '15 Job Openings
SCO 2550 - Business Statistics
Econ 1101 - Microeconomics
Acct 2050 - Intro to Financial Reporting
Math 1031 - College Algebra
Math 1051 - Pre-Calculus
Math 1142 - Short Calculus
Math 1241 - Calculus and Dynamical Systems in Biology
Chem 1015 - Introduction to Chemistry
CPSY 4343 - Cognitive Development
Nurs 3801 - Patient Centered Care of Adults and Older Adults I
Nurs 4301 - Patient Centered Care of Adults and Older Adults II
Duties of PAL Facilitators:This position is for students who enjoy helping others learn and are looking for a rewarding academic work experience.
- Attend/view one lecture each week and work through assignments.
- Facilitate one weekly study session (50 minutes) for 5-15 students. Facilitators select problems for students to work on in small groups.
- Attend a one hour weekly meeting with other PAL facilitators and the PAL team leader to coordinate PAL session activities and for on-going training.
- Meet with the PAL supervisor individually to discuss session planning and observations.
- Represent the PAL program in a professional and positive manner.
- Prepare session plans, worksheets or handouts, for PAL sessions; take attendance; submit materials in timely manner.
- Completion of the course with an A- or better, or demonstrate equivalent competency
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A strong desire to help others learn
- Previous experience coaching or tutoring is a plus
- Currently enrolled undergraduates at the University of Minnesota and eligible for student employment
- Maintain a 3.2 college grade point average
- Weekly commitment 5-7 hours per week
- Weekly preparation (2 hours), lecture attendance (1 hour per week), team meeting (1 hour), and facilitating PAL session (1-2 hours).
Initial pay is $10.75/hr. Salary increases with training and experience and completion of OUE 3050 course
- Develop leadership, organization, and planning skills and other resume-building experiences while helping peers
- Improve ability and confidence speaking to groups
- Be part of a motivated, high performing team
- Network with other PAL facilitators
- Credit opportunity: This experience can qualify as a one credit directed study and/or a pre-teaching experience for the College of Education
Apply on-line via the PAL application
Send an email if interested and any questions to email@example.com