University Departments and Offices
The University Archives collects the official records of the University of Minnesota. Please forward records to the University Archives when appropriate. These records may include:
- Accreditation records or self surveys, both internal and external. May include reports, correspondence, questionnaires, or guidelines.
- Administrative files. General records concerning the administration of the university and its colleges, departments, and programs. Files may include reports, memoranda, correspondence.
- Alumni materials. These include directories, reports, and publications.
- Annual reports of colleges, departments, programs, centers.
- Annual reports of the university and its units.
- Audits. Final reports and appendices only.
- Biographical materials of long-term faculty and senior administrative staff. May include obituaries, memorial service programs, interviews, curriculum vitae. (Please note that promotions and tenure files do not come to the Archives).
- Budgets. Summary reports and appendices only.
- Committee and council records. Internal or external, University-wide or on the college, departmental, or program level such as task forces, curriculum committees, consultative committees. May include minutes, agendas, reports.
- Curriculum development records. Documenting the development and planning for courses offered at the University. May include correspondence, memoranda, proposals, and faculty recommendations.
- External organizations and associations. Records of multi-institutional collaborations or associations in which the university is a participant.
- Film and video. All formats, documenting University activities, functions, facilities, and its faculty, staff and students. Must be identified in some way (such as dates, names, or captions).
- Grants. Materials documenting awarded grants. May include proposals, interim and final reports and summary data. All other records may be discarded after administrative and legal retentions are met.
- Photographs. All formats, documenting University activities, functions, facilities, and its faculty, staff and students. Must be identified in some way (such as dates, names, or captions).
- Planning records. Records of the university and its colleges and departments documenting its mission and goals. May include reports, correspondence, and policy and program proposals.
- Policies and procedures files. Material specific to the University, documenting past and present policies and procedures.
- Publications. One copy each, includes newsletters, magazines, reports.
- Research projects. May include proposals, interim and final reports and summary data. All other records may be discarded after administrative and legal retentions are met.
- Self-surveys. Internal and external reviews. May include reports, correspondence, questionnaires, guidelines.
- Speech files of senior administrators. Speeches, addresses, or comments made while representing the university. Identified.
- Websites. University administrative and programmatic sites with URL umn.edu/ or domain owned by the University.