Frequently Asked Questions about Voting in Minnesota

• Am I eligible to register and vote in Minnesota?

• be at least 18-years-old on Election Day,
    • be a citizen of the United States,
    • have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day,
    • have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed,
    • not be under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights, and
    • not have been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law
  • How do I register to vote?
    • ​The Minnesota Secretary of State website provides detailed information about registering online and in paper.  Minnesota also allows for registering at the polls on Election Day.
  • What proof of residence will I need to bring to register on Election Day?
    • A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card, or receipt for any of these
    • A valid student ID card including your photo, if your college has provided a student housing list to election officials
    • A Tribal ID card that contains your picture and signature
    • A valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address
    • A notice of late registration sent to you by your county auditor or city clerk
    • A voter registered in the same precinct as you who can confirm your address with a signed oath
    • An employee of the residential facility where you live who can confirm your address with a signed oath
    • Both 1) a photo ID and 2) a current bill with your current name and address in the precinct. Valid forms of these two items are listed at MN Elections and Voting site.
  • Where do I vote?
  • If I am out of town on Election day, how can I vote absentee?
    • ​Yes, you can vote early with an absentee ballot up to 46 days before Election Day.

Additional voter information can be found on the Minnesota Secretary of State Elections and Voting site and their voting page for College Students.