Frequently Asked Questions about Voting in Minnesota

• Am I eligible to register and vote in Minnesota?

• be at least 18-years-old on Election Day,
    • be a citizen of the United States,
    • have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day,
    • have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed,
    • not be under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights, and
    • not have been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law
  • If I'm a college student in MN, can I vote where I go to school?

• You should register to vote from the address you currently consider home. If you moved to Minnesota from another state and currently consider Minnesota your home, you can vote here even if you pay out-of-state tuition or have a driver’s license from another state. See more detailed information on the MN Secretary of State voting page for college students.

• How do I register to vote?

• ​The Minnesota Secretary of State website provides detailed information about registering online and in paper.  Minnesota also allows for registering at the polls on Election Day.
  • What proof of residence will I need to bring to register on Election Day?

• A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card, or receipt for any of these
    • A valid student ID card including your photo, if your college has provided a student housing list to election officials
    • A Tribal ID card that contains your picture and signature
    • A valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address
    • A notice of late registration sent to you by your county auditor or city clerk
    • A voter registered in the same precinct as you who can confirm your address with a signed oath
    • An employee of the residential facility where you live who can confirm your address with a signed oath
    • Both 1) a photo ID and 2) a current bill with your current name and address in the precinct.

See detailed information about registering to vote on Election Day on the Minnesota Secretary of State website here.

• Where do I vote?

• Are there transportation options for getting to the polls?

• There are a number of companies, nonprofits, and political groups that are providing free or discounted rides to the polls. We have aggregated options along with links and more info into this spreadsheet.
  • If I am out of town on Election Day, how can I vote absentee?

• ​Yes, you can vote early with an absentee ballot up to 46 days before Election Day.
  • How do I know which candidates to research for my precinct?

• The MN Secretary of State Voter Information Portal has a My Ballot finder to see the names of candidates and questions that will be on the ballot for your precinct. You can also find links to additional information about the candidates and ballot questions.

Additional voter information can be found on the Minnesota Secretary of State Elections and Voting site and their voting page for College Students.