Library computers are available to support teaching, learning and research and offer a variety of software. Visitors who are not current faculty, staff or students should read our Walter Visitors page to learn about registering for a computer account.
SMART Learning Commons
While the SMART Learning Commons has some general use computers, they specialize in providing access to computers that have software and hardware for multimedia production, media viewing, and AV conversion. They also have practice tests for the GRE, TOFEL, and other standardized tests. Additionally, two computers also have SPSS installed.
SMART Computer Features:
- Video, Image, and Audio Production
- AV Conversion/Transcoding
- Test Prep Materials
- Viewing Stations/Media Viewing Room
OIT Computer Lab
The Office of Information and Technology has a general purpose lab in Room 103. College of Science and Engineering Students may print from this lab without additional cost due to student fees they have already paid. You also may print double-sided and color pages from this lab.
Library Computer Software and Hardware List
OIT Labs Software List
Printing in the Library
Map of Computers and Printing
- Add value to your UCard or GopherGold Card if needed. See options in table below.
- B/W Printing cost: $0.12 per page, single-side (Note: double sided printing is an option but it charges $0.24 per page or $0.12 per side)
- Color Printing available only in the Great Hall and OIT Computer Lab (room 103), not SMART Learning Commons: $1.00 per page, single-side.
- Print your document (File > Print) from any Walter computer. You will be asked to enter a job name and an ID. You do not need to use a university ID, just a name that you will recognize when you retrieve your print job.
- With your UCard or GopherGold card, go to one of the two printers on the 2nd floor (see map, above).
- Swipe your UCard or GopherGold card on the keyboard next to the printer.
- Pick your print job from a list on the screen next to the printer. The cost will appear on the bottom of the screen. Click "Print" to accept, and then "Log out".
Wireless printing is now available for Mac and PC on the second floor of Walter Library. Set up your computer in three easy steps.
Adding value to your UCard:
Don't have a UCard? You can purchase a re-usable GopherGold Card at any Value Port for $1.00 (which buys an empty card. Additional money is required for printing.) Add value to your card with one of the following options:
|Use the Value Port machine located in the Great Hall (2nd floor) of Walter Library to add cash to your UCard (visitors: purchase a Gopher Gold card).
You'll find it just outside of room 208 (see floorplan below) or on the basement level outside the entrance.
Add with a Credit Card / Check-Card
A minimum $10 deposit (plus $2 fee) is required for each transaction.
Or go to: https://www.gophergold.umn.edu/ to read more about the GopherGold system.
Visit a UCard Office
|The UCard Office can accept many forms of payment, including a paper check.
Visit the UCard Office website for locations.
Scanning and Copying
Scanners are available at the SMART Learning Commons (204) and the OIT Computer Lab (103). For help learning how to scan documents or photos contact the SMART Learning Commons for assistance. If you simply need to make a physical copy, not a scan, there is a copy machine in the Great Hall on the second floor (under the Printing sign). Cost of printing is $0.12 a page.