Library computers are available to support teaching, learning and research and offer a variety of software. Current University of Minnesota--Twin Cities students, faculty, and staff have unlimited access to library computers. Computers are located throughout the building, including a small lab on the second floor in room 201B.
Community members not affiliated with the university are welcome to use the computers. Visitors must stop by a library service desk to sign up for a computer workstation card by presenting a valid government issued photo ID. This card will give the visitor up to two hours of computer access per day and is valid for six months. After six months the card may be renewed. Additional visitor computer access is available by joining the Friends of the Libraries or qualifying for a Special Borrowing Privileges card. Visitors may use library computers to access most of our electronic resources while using library computer workstations. All users must agree to abide by University Libraries policies.
SMART Learning Commons
The SMART Learning Commons computers are available to U of MN faculty, staff, and students only. They specialize in providing access to computers that have software and hardware for multimedia production, media viewing, and AV conversion. They also have practice tests for the GRE, TOFEL, and other standardized tests. SMART Computer Features:
- Video, Image, and Audio Production
- AV Conversion/Transcoding
- Test Prep Materials
Wireless access is available throughout Wilson Library via the University’s network.
Two computer scanners are available at the SMART Learning Commons. A USB-drive scanner is also available for U of MN or public use in the basement of Wilson Library. Color and Black & White scans are available. Please see a library staff member for additional information and assistance.
Print your document from any Wilson computer or from your laptop. For information on how to install the wireless printing driver to your laptop, stop by any service desk in Wilson or view the instructions here.
- Add value to your UCard or GopherGold Card if needed. See options in table below.
- B/W Printing cost: $0.10 per page, single-side (Note: double sided printing costs $0.20 per page/$0.10 a side)
- Color Printing cost (available in SMART Learning Commons and basement level across from the coffee shop): $0.50 per page, single-side
- Print your document (File > Print) from any Wilson computer. You will be asked to enter a job name and an ID. You do not need to use a university ID, just a name that you will recognize when you retrieve your print job.
- With your UCard or GopherGold card, go to the nearest printer. One printer is located on the 1st floor, in the Reference Room. Two printers are located on the basement level, one in the SMART Learning Commons and the other next to the Value Port machine across from the basement desk.
- Swipe your UCard or GopherGold card on the keyboard next to the printer.
- Pick your print job from the list on the computer screen. The cost will appear on the bottom of the screen. Click "Print" to accept, and then "Log out".
Adding value to your UCard
Don't have a UCard? You can purchase a re-usable GopherGold Card at any Add with a Credit Card / Check-Card: A minimum $10 deposit (plus $2 fee) is required for each transaction.
- Credit Card to UCard (U of M Students/Staff/Faculty/Alumni)
- Credit Card to GopherGold (all other users)
- Or go to: https://www.gophergold.umn.edu/ to read more about the GopherGold system.
- Visit a UCard Office: The UCard Office can accept many forms of payment, including a paper check. Visit the UCard Office website for locations and hours. The location closest to Wilson Library is at Coffman Union.
Self-service black & white photocopiers are available on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and basement floors of Wilson Library. Photocopies are $.10 per page, single-sided, and must be paid for with your UCard or purchase a card for $1.00 (GopherGold card). The machine to purchase a GopherGold card and to add money is located in the basement of Wilson Library