Resources in the Kautz Family YMCA Archives
The Kautz Family YMCA Archives photo collection extensively documents the YMCA's work in China, particularly health campaigns, and sports and recreation, as well as people and buildings. Over 700 of these images have been digitized and are available through the University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts Digital Content Library (DCL). » Browse the DCL China Photographs.
A number of digitized photographs of YMCA Work in China are available through the University Libraries' UMedia Archive. Select the "images" tab and search using the keyword, "China." » Search Kautz Family YMCA Archives Digital Images
Additional photographs of YMCA work in China may be found in the collections of Foreign Work and Armed Services Work photo albums. »Contact the Archives for more information
YMCA International Work in China Records, 1890-1991Records documenting YMCA work in China, including histories, annual reports, report letters, correspondence, minutes, records of specific programs and activities, building records (including building plans), financial records, biographical records, pamphlets, and maps. Many of the reports in the collection are available online as part of the digitized collection of foreign secretary reports from China (see below). »See the finding aid for more information on these records
Foreign Secretary Reports from China, 1896-1949Digitized collection of over 1000 reports of approximately 120 YMCA secretaries working across China. The reports describe not only the progress of YMCA work in the various cities to which the secretaries were sent, but also local social conditions, politics, and more. Most of the reports can also be found in the YMCA International Work in China Records, 1890-1991 (see above).
A finding aid listing the entire set of digitized reports is available, sorted three different ways. The full text of the reports can also be searched. To search the collection, select the "Images/Media" tab of the search box and select "Reports from China" in the "limit search to" pull-down menu. The search will return reports containing your key words. In order to locate the exact pages where the key words appear, select a report and repeat the search using the "search within this item" box.
» See the finding aid listing all digitized reports
» Search full text of reports from China
YMCA International Work in Taiwan RecordsAlthough some material concerning Taiwan is included in the YMCA International Work in China Records, additional records of work in Taiwan, are separately cataloged. »See the finding aid for more information on these records
YMCA International Work in Hong Kong RecordsAlthough some material concerning Hong Kong is included in the YMCA International Work in China Records, additional records of work in Hong Kong, are separately cataloged. »See the finding aid for more information on these records
Biographical FilesThis collection of biographical data includes primarily resumes, employment records, obituaries, and other background material, and occasionally small collections of personal papers of hundreds of YMCA leaders, including many who worked in China, such as Paul B. Anderson, Eugene Barnett, Fletcher Brockman, Harry Brunger, Earle Buckley, Capt. Robert Dollar, G. Sherwood Eddy, Max Exner, Arthur Gutter, Lawrence Hall, Koo Tse Zung, Frank B. Lenz, Robert E. Lewis, D. Willard Lyon, Paul W. Moritz, W. Wesley Peter, C. H. (Clarence Hovey) Robertson, Arthur G. Robinson, Arthur Rugh, Lennig Sweet, Hollis Wilbur, and Lucian Wilson . »See the finding aid for more information on these records
Eugene Barnett Papers, 1920-1975Papers of Eugene Barnett documenting, in part, his YMCA work with China where he served in Hangchow (Hangzhou), and subsequently as the national student secretary for China, national city secretary, and then senior secretary for the International Committee of the YMCA in China. »See the finding aid for more information on these records
Gilbert Beaver Papers, 1887-1952Correspondence and reports documenting YMCA student work (including the Committee on Friendly Relations) and foreign work, especially in China during the early 20th century. Accounts in the correspondence relate the conditions in China and recount conversations with leaders such as Chiang Kai-Shek. »See the finding aid for more information on these records
Clifford Petitt Papers, 1922-1983Correspondence with other YMCA leaders, an extensive manuscript autobiography, and other papers documentating, among other things, Petitt's twenty years of YMCA work in China (Tsindao (Qingdao) and Shanghai), as well as China-related organizations in which he was active in the United States. »See the finding aid for more information on these records
Other Personal Papers CollectionsThe YMCA Archives also holds the personal papers of several other individuals who worked extensively in China, including the following:
Paul B. Anderson
D. Willard Lyon
»Contact the Archives for more information
- Barnett, Eugene E. Memoirs of Eugene Epperson Barnett.
- Garrett, Shirley. Social Reformers in Urban China; The Chinese Y.M.C.A., 1895-1926. Harvard University Press, 1970.
- Hsing, Chun Baptized in the Fire of Revolution : The American Social Gospel and the YMCA in China, 1919-1937. Lehigh University Press, 1996.
- Koltach, Jonathan. Sports, Politics, and Ideology in China. Jonathan David Publishers, 1972.
- Morris, Andrew D. Marrow of the Nation : A History of Sport and Physical Culture in Republican China. University of California Press, 2004.
- Risedorph, Kimberly A. Reformers, Athletes, and Students : The YMCA in China, 1895-1935. Thesis, Washington University, 1994.
- Association Progress. Shanghai : Young Men’s Christian Associations of China
- China’s Young Men. Young Men’s Christian Association of China
- The Chinese Recorder and Educational Review. Shanghai : Editorial Board, 1939-1941.
- C.S.C.A. Fellowship Notes. New York : Chinese Students’ Christian Association in America,
- Dong Gong. Shanghai : City Division of the National Committee of the Y.M.C.A.s of China
- Foreign Mail. Young Men's Christian Associations of North America. International Committee.
- Monthly Bulletin of the Chinese Students’ Christian Association of North America. New York: Chinese Students’ Christian Association of North America
- Student Bulletin. Shanghai : Student Division, National Committee Y.M.C.A. of China
- Shanghai Young Men. Chinese Young Men’s Christian Association of Shanghai
- Tientsin Young Men. Tientsin : Y.M.C.A.,