A dissertation the final large research paper, based on origial research, for many disciplines to be able to complete a PhD degree. The thesis is the same idea but for a masters degree.
Locating Dissertations and Theses
- Digital Dissertations includes doctoral dissertations and selected masters theses from major universities worldwide.
- Searchable by subject, author, advisor, title, school, date, etc.
- More information about full text access and requesting through Interlibrary Loan
- NDLTD – Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations provides free online access to a over a million theses and dissertations from all over the world.
- WorldCat Dissertations and Theses searches library catalogs from across the U.S. and worldwide.
Locate University of Minnesota Dissertations and Theses
- Use MNCAT and search by title or author and add the word "thesis" in the search box. Write down the library and call number and find it on the shelf. They can be checked out.
- Check the University Digital Conservancy for online access to dissertations and theses from 2007 to present as well as historic, scanned theses from 1887-1923.
- For more help check out How to Find University of Minnesota Doctoral Dissertations and Master's Theses.
Other Sources for Dissertations and Theses
- Center for Research Libraries
- DART-Europe E-Thesis Portal
- Theses Canada
- ProQuest Dissertations &Theses: UK & Ireland
- Ethos (Great Britain)
- Australasian Digital Theses in Trove
- DiVA (Sweden)
- E-Thesis at the University of Helsinki
- University of Pretoria Electronic Theses and Dissertations
- DissOnline (Germany)
- List of libraries worldwide - to search for a thesis when you know the institution and cannot find in the larger collections