For a complete listing of jobs (including Civil Service, Academic, Student, and Graduate Assistant positions) please visit the University of Minnesota Job Center.
Current Professional Opportunities
The following professional positions are currently available at the University Libraries:
- Biosciences Liaison Librarian and Scientific Data Curator
- Reference Outreach & Instruction Librarian
Come work for Collection Management and Preservation in Wilson Library (West Bank)!
- Job duties include sorting, processing, labeling and routing new library materials.
- We prefer but don't require Work study. Our starting pay rate is $9.50/hour.
- The position starts this Fall Semester. You must be available weekday afternoons. This position continues over the summer 2018, so summer availability is required.
- To apply, email a resume, cover letter and your available work hours to Laurie Jedamus (email@example.com).
Access & Information Services in Wilson Library (West Bank)—now hiring for Fall!
- Job duties include sorting and shelving books in Wilson and in the Ames and East Asian libraries, searching, working in the stacks, and other projects as assigned.
- Work study is preferred. Starting pay is $9.50/hour.
- A minimum of 10 hours per week is required—but more hours are best, particularly on weekdays!
- To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and copy of your available hours to Ashley Merrill (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mark Engelmann (email@example.com).
The Map Library (in Wilson Library - West Bank) is hiring for Fall 2017 (Work Study required)!
- Job duties include helping library users find cartographic resources both online and in the collection; assisting with scanning and printing; shelving books and filing maps/aerial photos; checking in/out material and answering phone at service desk.
- Basic qualifications include previous customer service experience, good communication skills, basic office skills, and attention to detail. Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs and perform other essential physical demands.
- We are hiring to cover various shifts Mondays through Thursdays between 8:45am and 7pm and on Saturdays from 12:45pm to 5pm. 8 to 12 hours per week.
- Work Study required. Starting pay is $9.50 per hour.
- To apply, email a resume and a list of the days/hours you are available to work in Fall 2017 to Dana Peterson (firstname.lastname@example.org). Cover letter optional.
Now hiring student employees at the Architecture Library in Rapson Hall (East bank)!
- Typical duties include providing customer service at our library desk, shelving library materials, searching library databases and processing new and returned materials.
- Looking for someone who has strong customer service skills, the ability to pay close attention to detailed procedures, is confident working independently and is self-motivated. Need employees who would be available to work a variety of hours on weekday days and early evenings and on weekend afternoons.
- Starting pay is $9.50/hour. *Work study required.* Must be available to interview and train before classes begin on Sept. 5.
- To apply, email a resume, cover letter and your class schedule/available work times to Chris Schlief (email@example.com).
Archives and Special Collections Student Assistant (Work Study Required) (in Andersen Library on West bank)
- The job includes: monitoring researchers in reading room, communicating with staff or researchers as needed, photocopying, data entry, research, or assessing collections of historical records - could be one of first staff to look over collection and make decisions on what to keep. There is room for advancement over time.
- We are looking for service orientated individual with a desire to help others learn about history and work with primary sources in all topics and/or languages. Ability to demonstrate problem-solving skills, multi-tasking, and follow detailed instructions with consistent accuracy. Ability to read or speak a foreign language a plus.
- Available to work 6-10 hours a week.
- Work study required. To apply please send cover letter, resume, and class schedule to Mary Blissenbach (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Student position in Minitex (East Bank) ! We are hiring NOW!
- Job duties include getting books and journals from Walter, Math, Architecture and Journalism Libraries, scanning, checking materials out and updating system records, shelving books and journals and more.
- Starting pay is $9.50/hour. Work study preferred.
- We are looking for someone available to start in mid-August.
- To apply, email Nicole Masika (email@example.com) with your cover letter, resume and hours of availability.
Interested in helping others in math or chemistry? Become a Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) Facilitator
- Peer-Assisted Learning Facilitators lead group student learning activities and small group sessions to engage students deeper understanding of course concepts.
- PALS receive excellent training and rewarding leadership experience. This experience is helpful if you plan on becoming a classroom teacher or a Teaching Assistant appointment in graduate school. Lead a 75 minute session each week in Chemistry 1061 - Tuesdays 4:00-5:15 on St. Paul campus; OR lead two weekly 50 minute sessions on Thursdays in Math 1031 (College Algebra) or Math 1051 (Pre-Calculus I). Various times are available.
- Qualified candidates will have completed freshman year on campus, have overall GPA of 3.2 or above, A- or A in math or chemistry courses, and strong study skills.
- Work Study preferred but not required with a pay rate at $10.75/hour. Must attend 2 day training on campus: Aug 30-31, 2017 (paid activity).
- To apply, go to https://z.umn.edu/2tbk. Contact Mary Lilly (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
Student Media Consultant - SMART Learning Commons - Now Hiring!
- This is a shared position between Libraries and the Office of Undergraduate Education
- Starting rate is $10.00/hour. Students with work study preferred.
- Job duties include video equipment circulation, managing reservations, checking students in and out of the tutoring center, assist patrons with technology troubleshooting questions, and projects as needed.
- Seeking 1 or 2 qualified students who have some availability to offer for Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday 10am-3pm. See Position Description for details and qualifications.
- To apply, send your résumé to Charlie Heinz (email@example.com).
We hire hundreds of students each year in many different positions including:
- Work in busy Wilson, Walter, Bio-Med or Magrath - pulling and shelving books, helping patrons and more.
- Work in one of our Archives sorting materials, scanning, or helping researchers use the materials.
- Work in the underground storage caverns processing materials with our partner Minitex.
- Our Peer Research Consultants tutor students one-on-one on finding sources and academic library research skills.
- Work as a media consultant in the SMART Learning Commons Media Services and help students on their video projects. Student job postings for the University Libraries are posted through the Office of Human Resources under Student Job Postings (Select "TLIB Libraries, University" under "College.")
Students from all Library and Information Science degree programs are welcome to complete internships at the University of Minnesota. Current opportunities are listed below, or contact a librarian or the HR office to ask about building an internship.