For a complete listing of jobs (including Civil Service, Academic, Student, and Graduate Assistant positions) please visit the University of Minnesota Job Center.
Current Professional Opportunities
The following professional positions are currently available at the University Libraries:
- Collections Coordinator & Dentistry Liaison
- Learning & Inclusion Strategist
- Post Doc Social Sciences Data Curation Specialist
- Reference Instruction & Cooperative Purchasing Associate Director
- Spatial Data Analyst & Curator
- Special Collections Metadata Librarian
Join Wilson Library (West Bank) as a Student Administrative Assistant!
The job includes: providing daily support for U Libraries Administration Reception area, including answering phones, directing calls, and welcoming guests, supporting clerical activity by creating copies/printing, opening/closing the office, and running errands/deliveries on campus.
- Hours available Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm
- Best-qualified candidates have strong organizational, customer service, and phone skills.
- Work Study preferred with a pay rate at $9.50/hour.
- Shifts available: Mon: 3pm-5pm; Tues: 9:45am-3:30pm; Wed: 3pm-5pm; Thursday: 8am-noon; Friday: noon-5pm.
- To apply, email a resume, cover letter and your available start date/work hours to Grace Butkowski (email@example.com)
Work in Library Preservation in Wilson Library (West Bank)!
Work in the Collection Management and Preservation Department in the largest library on campus. The position focuses on caring for historic materials including measuring collections and assisting with collections moves, and other duties as assigned.
- This position is 10 hours a week, must be available to work Monday-Friday between the hours of 8am-5pm.
- Starting pay is $9.50. Work study preferred.
- Must have excellent manual dexterity and attention to detail. Ability to handle fragile and rare materials with care. Must be able to work independently. Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- To apply, email a resume, cover letter and copy of your available hours to Breanna Tyrrel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Duties include greeting the public, checking out materials, and assisting Minitex staff!
- Assist in the preparation of large mailings, conferences/training materials, sorting/alphabetizing materials. Other duties as assigned.
- Work study preferred/not required. Starting pay is $9.50/hour.
- Required hours: Tuesdays 10:30 am - 1:30 pm; Thursdays 10:30 am - 1:30 pm. Must be able to work the entirety of both shifts.
- To apply, email a resume, cover letter and copy of your available hours (course schedule) to Tammi Halverson @ email@example.com.
Student positions in the Bio-Medical Library (East Bank)!
- Assist library patrons at the service desk
- Answer phones; work with the library catalog and databases
- Locate materials in the stacks; shelve books and journals
- Work study required. Starting pay is $9.50/hour.
- We have these hours open:
- REQUIRED hours: Wednesdays, 6:45am-12pm
- Additional hours: Mondays, 11am-2pm; Tuesdays, 11am-2pm; Thursdays, 12pm-2 or 3pm; Fridays, 12pm-2 or 3pm
- A minimum of 10 hours per week is required.
- To apply, email a resume, cover letter and copy of your available hours to Melissa Aho (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We hire hundreds of students each year in many different positions including:
- Work in busy Wilson, Walter, Bio-Med or Magrath - pulling and shelving books, helping patrons and more.
- Work in one of our Archives sorting materials, scanning, or helping researchers use the materials.
- Work in the underground storage caverns processing materials with our partner Minitex.
- Our Peer Research Consultants tutor students one-on-one on finding sources and academic library research skills.
- Work as a media consultant in the SMART Learning Commons Media Services and help students on their video projects. Student job postings for the University Libraries are posted through the Office of Human Resources under Student Job Postings (Select "TLIB Libraries, University" under "College.")
Students from all Library and Information Science degree programs are welcome to complete internships at the University of Minnesota. Current opportunities are listed below, or contact a librarian or the HR office to inquire about building an internship.