For a complete listing of jobs (including Civil Service, Academic, Student, and Graduate Assistant positions) please visit the University of Minnesota Job Center.
Current Professional Opportunities
The following professional positions are currently available at the University Libraries:
- Biosciences Liaison Librarian and Scientific Data Curator
- Reference Outreach & Instruction Librarian
- Social Sciences and Professional Programs Department Director
Work in Resource Sharing at Minitex in Wilson Library (West Bank)!
- Minitex is a statewide library consortium housed at the University of Minnesota Libraries.
- Job duties include searching the Libraries for books and journal articles requested by patrons, saving PDF files, routing them online to specific locations and other similar duties as assigned.
- Prefer undergraduate students with work study (must be taking 6 or more credits). Starting pay is $9.50/hour.
- Must be available Monday-Friday 1:30-5:00 pm.
- To apply, email resume and available work times to Jared LaBounty at firstname.lastname@example.org
Work in Data Management and Access in Wilson Library (West Bank)!
- Job duties include processing of music such as CDs, DVDs, and scores; searching for records, and entering accurate information to optimize searchability.
- Must have basic office skills (filing, alphabetizing, typing, accurate data input) and be able to perform essential physical demands including walking, sitting, lifting 5-25 lbs, bending, and reaching.
- Undergraduates with work study are preferred (must be enrolled for at least 6 credits) and available to work 10-15 hours a week between 8:30am-4:30pm.
- To apply, please send a resume and hours of availability for Fall 2017 to David Lein (email@example.com).
Work in the East Asian Library in Wilson Library (West Bank)!
- Typical duties include providing customer service at our library desk, shelving and processing library materials, and searching library databases.
- Looking for someone who has the ability to read, write, and type Chinese, strong customer service skills, the ability to pay close attention to detailed procedures, is confident working independently and is self-motivated.
- Available to work 6-12 hours a week between 10-5pm on weekdays. Starting pay is $9.50/hour.
- Must be available to interview. To apply, email a resume and your available work times to Yao Chen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Interested in helping others in math or chemistry? Become a Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) Facilitator
- Peer-Assisted Learning Facilitators lead group student learning activities and small group sessions to engage students deeper understanding of course concepts.
- PALS receive excellent training and rewarding leadership experience. This experience is helpful if you plan on becoming a classroom teacher or a Teaching Assistant appointment in graduate school. Lead a 75 minute session each week in Chemistry 1061 - Tuesdays 4:00-5:15 on St. Paul campus; OR lead two weekly 50 minute sessions on Thursdays in Math 1031 (College Algebra) or Math 1051 (Pre-Calculus I). Various times are available.
- Qualified candidates will have completed freshman year on campus, have overall GPA of 3.2 or above, A- or A in math or chemistry courses, and strong study skills.
- Work Study preferred but not required with a pay rate at $10.75/hour. Must attend 2 day training on campus: Aug 30-31, 2017 (paid activity).
- To apply, go to https://z.umn.edu/2tbk. Contact Mary Lilly (email@example.com) with questions.
We hire hundreds of students each year in many different positions including:
- Work in busy Wilson, Walter, Bio-Med or Magrath - pulling and shelving books, helping patrons and more.
- Work in one of our Archives sorting materials, scanning, or helping researchers use the materials.
- Work in the underground storage caverns processing materials with our partner Minitex.
- Our Peer Research Consultants tutor students one-on-one on finding sources and academic library research skills.
- Work as a media consultant in the SMART Learning Commons Media Services and help students on their video projects. Student job postings for the University Libraries are posted through the Office of Human Resources under Student Job Postings (Select "TLIB Libraries, University" under "College.")
Students from all Library and Information Science degree programs are welcome to complete internships at the University of Minnesota. Current opportunities are listed below, or contact a librarian or the HR office to ask about building an internship.