Welcome to the John Philip Borger Comic Book Collection
The CLRC is proud to announce the acquisition of the John Philip Borger Comic Book Collection. After considering various locations to donate his precious comic book collection, life-long collector John Borger finally selected the Children’s Literature Research Collections. Borger was impressed by the climate-controlled, archival-sound facilities offered in the Andersen Library Archives and Special Collections caverns, and believed the CLRC would be a good steward for his books. He has generously donated over 40,000 volumes, including secondary materials such as action figures.
View the Finding Aid for a full listing of issues available in the collection.
Additional materials in the Borger Collection, including a collection of sci-fi and fantasy paperback novels, comic anthologies, and comic related periodicals, can be found by searching the library catalog.
Other Comic Book Resources:
- The Child Study Association of America Records at the Social Welfare History Archives at the University of Minnesota - Boxes 15 & 16 contain materials from the CSAA's comics subcommittee from 1941-1959. This includes materials regarding the U.S. Senate Subcommittee to Investigate Juvenile Delinquency and the 1954 comics scare.
- The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund - a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the First Amendment rights of the comics medium.
- The Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art, run by the Society of Illustrators. It is the mission of MoCCA to promote the understanding and appreciation of comic and cartoon art along with the artistic, cultural, and historical impact of what is the world’s most popular art form.
- The Cartoon Art Museum - Located downtown in San Francisco’s Yerba Buena cultural district, the museum is home to over 6,000 pieces of original and cartoon and animation art, a comprehensive research library, and five galleries of exhibition space.
- TOON Books - If you're looking to integrate comics into your K-3 curriculum, TOON Books is a valuable resource.