Due to security upgrades, we will no longer support Internet Explorer version 8 or older. Please use a newer browser.
Archives and Special Collections are open by appointment only, limited to UMN affiliates. Appointments must be made one week in advance of your visit. Contact email@example.com or the curator of the collecting area you wish to use for assistance. We continue to provide scans of requested research materials when possible, especially for our non-campus clientele.
These collections cover the history of books and printing, graphic design, calligraphy, paleography and other aspects related to printing and typography. Materials in these collections may include books, periodicals, and/or archival material. For materials related to specific fine or small presses or book artists see the link for "Press Collections." Collections here include:
- AIGA (American Insitute of Graphic Arts) Files (in process, SCRB Collection Number 161)
- The Ampersand Club Papers (in process, SCRB Collection Number 114)
- Rutherford G. Aris Paleography Collection (SCRB Collection Number 42)(WV)
- Artifact Collection (SCRB Collection Number 43)(S2)
- The Gary and Shirley Best Collection of Charles Dana Gibson (SCRB Collection Number 49)(S2R8)
- Bovey Autograph Collection (unprocessed, SCRB Collection Number 115)
- Broadsides (not yet processed, SCRB Collection Number 66)
- Cuneiform Collection--UMedia version
Cuneiform Collection--UROP version (SCRB Collection Number 53)
- Judith Duncan Papers (SCRB Collection Number 58) (S1R4)
- Ekman Typography Collection (SCRB Collection Number 60)(S1R4-5)--A card file for this collection is found in the Reading Room. Manuscripts Collections (S2R9)
- ---- Individual Medieval Manuscript Leaves (SCRB Collection Number 78) ---- Fifty Original Leaves from Medieval Manuscripts (Otto F. Ege Collection, SCRB Collection Number 79)
- ----Codices (SCRB Collection Number 80)
- Papyri and Ostraka Collection (SCRB Collection Number 84) (S2R9)
- Claus Maywald Initials Collection (unprocessed, SCRB Collection Number 147)
- Typography Collection (SCRB Collection Number 104) (WV) The Typography Collection houses books created as works of art as well as mercantile items. The collection contains books from the more famous presses, such as Kelmscott, Vale, Ashendene, Doves, Gregynog, and Golden Cockerel, as well as productions of hobby printers. The Rare Books Division maintains a special catalog of these presses and of the names of typographers, designers and illustrators. Most of these items also are accessible through the Libraries' catalog.
- Wheeler Bookplate Collection (SCRB Collection Number 107)(HB)