Welcome to the University of Minnesota Libraries. The University of Minnesota is a public land grant institution, and our collections are accessible to the citizens of the state of Minnesota, the nation, and the world.
We welcome researchers who are not affiliated with the University of Minnesota, however, our focus remains on our primary University of Minnesota clientele (i.e., current faculty, staff and students), as well as the use of the libraries for research and study purposes.
The Library Use Policy has been created to protect the rights and safety of Library patrons and staff and to preserve and protect the library's materials, equipment, facilities and grounds.
The Libraries and their staff are expected to provide:
- Space for users that is clean, quiet, and well lit.
- Tools for users to find information quickly and efficiently.
- Courteous and respectful service.
- New services and changes to existing services, as needed, to fill user's informational needs.
- Access, within specific guidelines, to the library collections and collections by other institutions.
The Libraries patrons are expected to:
- Refrain from disruptive behavior. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Assault or intimidation of Library staff or patrons through language or actions.
- Any behavior that creates excessive noise or commotion.
- Refusing to leave a Library unit at closing time.
- Entering areas of the library marked "Staff only".
- Engaging in sexual harassment and/or overt sexual behavior
- Being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs, and selling, using or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs
- Refrain from marking materials with pencil, ink, post it notes, tape, paper clips, bending corners of pages and placing books open facedown.
- Refrain from ripping or cutting pages out of materials. Please make copies instead.
- Refrain from using tobacco products in the library.
- Drinks are permitted in spill-proof containers and pop-up bottles unless the area or the library is posted "No food or drink."
- Treat library staff and other library users with courtesy and respect.
- Refrain from installing unauthorized software and/or changing setups on library computer equipment.
- Refrain from taking materials out of the library without first checking them out.
Note: Anyone engaging in disruptive behavior may be denied further access to the Libraries.