Library use policy
Welcome to the University of Minnesota Libraries. The University of Minnesota is a public land grant institution. Our collections are accessible to the citizens of the state of Minnesota, the nation, and the world.
We welcome researchers who are not affiliated with the University of Minnesota, however, our focus remains on our primary University of Minnesota community (i.e., current faculty, staff, and students), as well as the use of the libraries for research and study purposes.
The Libraries Use Policy has been created to protect the rights and safety of library users and staff and to preserve and protect the library's materials, equipment and facilities. Library users in violation of these policies may be asked to leave and could be denied future access to the Libraries.
The Libraries and its staff will provide:
- space for users that is effective for research and study,
- tools for users to find information quickly and efficiently,
- courteous and respectful service,
- new services and changes to existing services, as needed, to fill users’ informational needs, and
- access, within specific guidelines, to the library collections and collections owned by other institutions.
Library users are expected to treat staff and other users with courtesy and respect. In order to ensure a welcoming environment for all users, the following rules apply:
- Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- language or action that is intimidating or disrespectful to library staff or users,
- refusing to leave a library unit at closing time,
- entering areas of the library marked "Staff only," and/or
- behavior that is unreasonably distracting or impedes staff or users’ ability to use the library for its intended purposes.
- Spaces are designated as collaborative or varying levels of quiet; users are expected to respect those designations.
- Solicitation, the selling or promoting of goods or services, is not allowed.
- Adults who bring minors into the library are responsible for monitoring their conduct at all times.
- The destruction of library material and property will not be tolerated.