- About EndNote Desktop
- Connecting EndNote to FindIt
- Getting Help with EndNote
- EndNote & Mendeley Word Plug-In Compatibility
- Ask a Librarian
About EndNote Desktop
EndNote Desktop features:
- Create your own databases of citations by importing references from MNCAT and other article indexes or entering them manually.
- Unlimited reference and attachment storage.
- Automatically generate bibliographies and in-text citations in all major styles.
- Edit and customize styles.
- EndNote X7, EndNote X8, and EndNote X9 are cross-platform compatible.
- One license allows the user to install EndNote on up to three computers (any combination of Mac or Windows) for their personal use.
Want to know how EndNote compares to other citation managers? Review our citation manager chart.
Connecting EndNote to FindIt
You can link your EndNote account to the University of Minnesota’s FindIt system and access the full text articles to which the University Libraries subscribe.
- Select Edit on the top EndNote menu and select Preferences.
- On the left panel of the preferences menu that appears, select Find Full Text.
- In the OpenURL Path type in http://primo.lib.umn.edu/openurl/TWINCITIES/TWINCITIES_SP
- In the URL box under Authenticate With type in https://ezproxy.lib.umn.edu/login?url=
- Hit Apply to save your changes
Getting Help with EndNote
Librarians can help with getting started in EndNote and questions about functionality. We can help with some technical problems, but you may need to also contact EndNote Support directly.
EndNote & Mendeley Word Plug-In Compatibility
There is a known issue with EndNote working properly with Word when Mendeley is also installed on the computer. Having both running may cause problems with the Word Plug-ins. So far it has manifested in citations not being formatted when using EndNote with Word. In order for EndNote to work properly, you will need to uncheck the box for the Mendeley Word add-in. For instructions on doing so, see the EndNote & Mendeley Word plug-in Incompatibility Work-around.