Minnesota Institute for Early Career Librarians

from Traditionally Underrepresented Groups

The University of Minnesota Libraries will offer its 9th week-long Institute for 24 early career college and university librarians who are from traditionally underrepresented groups and are in the first three years of their professional careers.  

Overview

The Institute focuses on the development of library leaders from diverse backgrounds. Participants will develop specific leadership abilities proven to be necessary for organizational success.

The necessary starting point in any leadership development journey is personal awareness. The Institute intensely focuses on enhancing personal awareness--creating unique opportunities for participants to reflect on personal communication style and preferences, explore strengths and areas for continued development, and connect unique cultural insights and experiences to one’s professional journey.

Because early career librarians are often asked to give shape, definition, and leadership to whole new areas of work (e-science, publishing, institutional repositories, e-learning, and personal information management to name a few), the Institute enhances the personal leadership content with several days of rich engagement in program leadership.  Topics crucial for successful program leadership will be covered including needs assessment, program and resource planning.

Learning Objectives

Prepare current and future leaders in academic libraries by:

• providing leadership skills and tools that can be useful at any stage in their career 
  • increasing self-awareness and understanding of their own preferences
  • increasing an understanding of the dynamics of working within and being influential in complex organizations
  • developing the skills needed to propose, shape, lead and implement user-centered programs
  • developing a community of peers with whom participants share common experiences and on whom they can rely over time and distance for support and encouragement.

Institute Environment

Since 1998, the University of Minnesota Libraries have offered the biennial week-long institute for early career librarians underrepresented in the profession. The Twin Cities, known for offering vibrant programming through numerous arts and sports venues, an extensive park and recreational system, and an engaged and diverse community is a perfect setting for this successful program, held at the University of Minnesota.

With more than 65,000 students, the University of Minnesota offers undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in more than 100 fields, including law and medicine. The University of Minnesota Libraries, a leader in academic research libraries, received the Excellence in Academic Libraries award from the American Library Association/Association of College and Research Libraries in 2009. This award recognizes the accomplishments of library staff  “as they come together as members of a team to support the mission of their institution.”

Participants will have the opportunity to interact with Libraries staff, tour the campus and the beautiful “Twin Cities” of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Faculty

The Institute faculty integrate managerial and leadership concepts with immediately applicable workplace skills. DeEtta Jones Young (DeEtta Jones & Associates) and Kathryn Deiss (Association of College & Research Libraries), experienced organizational and leadership development consultants and trainers, have been leading the professional and personal development component of the Institute since it began in 1998.

Jerilyn Veldof, Organization Development Associate, University of Minnesota Libraries, and Janice Jaguszewski, Associate University Librarian and Director, Health Sciences Libraries, University of Minnesota Libraries, have extensive experience developing new library programs, offering workshops, and coaching and mentoring librarians. They will facilitate the Institute's sessions on developing the skills to create and lead new initiatives that position libraries for the future.

Further Information

Contact:
Linda DeBeau-Melting
Associate University Librarian
Organization Development
l-debe@umn.edu
612-624-5802

Past Participant Comments

"I feel like a community was created at the Minnesota Institute. If I need to contact any one of my classmates for anything, they'll be there to help, as I would be for them. It's great to have this community born from a deeply shared experience."
—Lisa Dunkley

"I have renewed focus and energy, a new network of colleagues with which to develop the profession, and new professional interests to pursue."
—Megan Perez

"I walked away from the institute, knowing what to do tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. I know what I need to read, what to ask, and where to get help and advice."
—Sharon Wang

"This institute has given me confidence to take advantage of leadership opportunities and to work from a place of strength. It has also connected me to a network of creative, intelligent and thoughtful peers in the profession. For me, this was every bit as important as the content of the institute itself. Thank you, thank you, thank you."
—Myntha Cuffy